30. Light up The Night

Mulai dari awal

This wasn't for the cameras though, nor to encourage people in districts to start an uprising. This was the most real anybody could get on reality TV. I wasn't saying that what Katniss and Peeta had in their Games was fake. If it had been, Shane wouldn't exist right now.

"See anything?" Shane asked me.

"No. You?"

"Not a thing," he huffed.

"We can't give up."

"I'm not."

"And I'm not."

We continued to walk in silence, wandering aimlessly in the middle of nowhere. We were deep enough in the woods to where we couldn't see the remains of the Cornucopia. We took a rest or two, replenishing our energy with the food and water we had available. We had a few pieces of jerky and a piece of fruit left still, and the medicine as well.

I pulled out the blowgun and darts from my jacket, staring at them. Why did I still have these? I didn't really use them. Should I get rid of these? If I do, I've got to hide them somewhere good where nobody is going to find them. I doubted anybody would want a blowgun anyway, the darts weren't poisonous. Then again, I wouldn't know because I never got a hit with a dart from the gun.

When I broke off from Shane, trying to find a good spot to bury the weaponry, he looked at me, puzzled.

"What are you doing?" he asked curiously.

"Trying to find the best spot to hide these," I murmured, pulling back bushes and trying to find hollow holes in nearby trees.

"Why?"

"I don't need them." I shrugged.

"You're really going to give those up?"

"Shane, I haven't used them." I turned to him. "What's the point in keeping this stuff if I have no use for it?"

"You say that now. Wait until a time comes where you'll wish you had those still." He came to me. "Crystal, just keep them, for a precaution. They might come in handy, you never know."

"But—"

"Do you want someone to grab those?"

"No, but I'd bury them to where nobody would find them."

"Let's be real," he complained. "Say a tribute was weaponless and was hoping to find something to use to defend themselves in the arena, whether from whatever the Gamemakers had in store or from other tributes. And let's say that this tribute happens to find your blowgun and the darts. You've basically helped them out, given them an advantage in this."

"I guess when you put it that way..."

"I'm right," he said plainly, looking smug.

I rolled my eyes playfully. "All right, I'll keep them." I stuffed the gun into my pants front pocket. I fit the darts in a compartment inside my jacket.

A cannon sounded suddenly, making us both jump. Shane grabbed my wrist, making sure I was at his side. A knife was in my other hand, at the ready. Another tribute down. I thought of three people who I wanted the cannon to be for. It'd be one less threat I'd have to deal with.

"Who do you think it was this time?" I breathed.

"Don't know. We won't know until later."