30. Light up The Night

I was back and forth between being awake and asleep for the rest of that night. Shane was asleep through all those things I woke myself up from. No matter how comfortable I felt in his arms, it wasn't enough to make me fall into a sound sleep. I envied him that night, because he would be well rested, and I would be groggy as hell.

A cool breeze made me bury my head into Shane's chest. I yawned, popping my eyes open. I squinted my eyes; light was shining right on them.

"Morning," Shane sang.

"I'm glad you didn't include the 'good' before 'morning,'" I muttered. "It's not a good one for me."

"I can tell." He tried to shift.

"No other cannons went off?" I shook my head, hitting Shane with my dirty, red hair. "Sorry."

"Nobody else died." He ran a hand through my hair.

"How long do you think it's been since we've been here?" I looked around for the hell of it.

"I don't know, definitely over a week."

"Feels like we've been here a month," I snorted.

"We could be." He pressed his forehead into the side of my head. "I don't want to do this anymore," he sighed seriously. "Be in the arena, try to survive day after day. I wouldn't mind going back to Twelve; at least I know people won't try to kill me there."

"The world is a dangerous place, so you don't know that," I countered lightly. Shane messed with my necklace. "That's given me some damn good luck."

"Good luck charm?"

"Mhm. Birthday gift also," I mentioned. "I rarely take it off."

"It's lucky all right. You found me." He kissed my ear.

I giggled. "Yeah." I sighed, massaging Shane's scalp with my dirty fingers. He kissed under my jaw, peppering a few kisses on my neck. I smiled, bathing in the affection.

At times, when we were alone like this, I didn't feel like I was in the Hunger Games. I felt like I was in a whole different world with Shane, where it was just the two of us.

"I don't think we're going to hunt much if we sit up here all day," I said after a few minutes.

"We've got food, still, Crystal."

"I know, but hunting for more doesn't hurt, does it?"

"I guess not." He kissed my birth mark. He grabbed my chin, turning my head towards his. "Your eyes..." I looked down, embarrassed. "Beautiful."

"Let's go," I pressed. As much as I loved sitting here with him alone being flattered by him, we were still in the Games. And the Games weren't over yet.

"Okay, okay," he chuckled. "I'll climb down first. Toss me the packs once I'm down, okay?"

I swung my legs over the edge of the branch, waiting for Shane to be down on the ground so I could throw the packs down. He took his arrows and bow down with him. I tossed both packs down before clambering down the tree myself.

With a bow in one hand and my hand in his, Shane led me through the woods. Sunlight seemed abundant more than usual. If sunlight is abundant, how about some animals to shoot at? It wouldn't hurt the Gamemakers to do Shane and me a favor, unless they didn't want to give us anything because they thought us being together meant we were rebelling against the Capitol. To them, being in love equaled rebellion.