15. The Main Event

15. The Main Event

My pre-Hunger Games dream wasn't a nice one.

It was the beginning of the Games, and Bane somehow distracted me to where I was unguarded. I didn't pay attention and something had pierced my back, because I had jolted awake five seconds after I died in my dream. A little frightened, I felt my back. No wound, no blood, no weapon. I was still alive. My dreams bothered me because they looked so real. Thank God they didn't feel real.

I was able to get myself up the next morning, realizing today was my official last day in this apartment. In a few hours, I'd board a hovercraft and stay in a Launch Room until it would be time to head up into the arena for the main event. My stomach turned uneasily, knowing that today was the main event. I wasn't sure whether it was from just excitement or if maybe a jumble of nerves was mixed in as well.

Thankfully, for me, I was able to find a black t-shirt with long sleeves, and not-too-baggy black pants. I found sneakers and socks in the closet, too. Hell, all I needed now was a black jacket and I was good for the arena. I wasn't sure what the weather would hold—hopefully no hurricanes or tornados or blizzards. My attire couldn't shield me from all that.

When I emerged from my bedroom, I heard Sienna sobbing. My heart cracked a bit in pity. The poor thing, she sounded worse today than last night when I told her what I realized what today was for me. I found her sitting on the couch, wearing a solemn black dress. It's like she's attending a funeral, I thought. Maybe she's prepping for Bane's funeral already.

Speaking of my admirer, he was holding her, trying to calm her down. I saw food in the kitchen, but I wasn't really hungry; I was too focused on Sienna.

I went to join her and Bane on the couch. At the sight of me, she cried harder. I rubbed her leg, but nothing seemed to be helping. I took a look at Bane, and he looked exhausted, like he had the morning after he watched those Hunger Games tapes on the Tribute Train.

"How long has this been going on?" I whispered. I didn't want things to be too awkward between Bane and I, not when the Games were just hours away.

"Since six this morning," Bane croaked. Sienna cried into his shoulder. "She was out here alone. I've been at this for two hours, Crystal."

"So you haven't eaten?" I sputtered.

"No."

"You should. Take a break."

"Did you eat?"

"Yes," I lied. The tumbling in my stomach lessened, but I still figured it wasn't safe enough for me to try and eat anything. I didn't want to give it back on the kitchen floor or in the hovercraft later on.

It took Bane a few moments, but he reluctantly left Sienna to go eat. She immediately fell into me. I cradled her and rocked slowly back and forth. Mom told me she always used to do that with me, whether I was a baby or a little kid. It always seemed to calm me down; I figured it could work for Sienna too, maybe.

I wasn't one for emotional goodbyes; they always seemed to tear me apart. Since I technically wasn't near the other Career pack mates, I could be caring and comfort my escort.

"T-this was never a f-fun job," she moaned. I rubbed her head. "I thought i-it was at first, b-being on TV, g-getting those five minutes of f-fame. It's been like t-this every year, f-for me."

"But you seem so cheery at the reapings," I murmured.

"I-I hide what I r-really feel then." Sienna sniffed. "N-none of the p-past tributes have ever d-done the things you and Bane h-have, being here for m-me and all."