21. Who Am I Really?

Something was tickling my nose. I blew, hoping to drive it away. It invaded my nose again. This time I snorted, turning my head. I felt something rough on my cheek.

I picked my head up, rubbing it. It felt like...dirt. Dirt? I pried my eyes open to see I was lying on the ground, on my stomach.

I tried to push myself up, but my back screamed in protest. I collapsed back down to the ground. I craned my head up to see no blue sky, nothing but clouds. I wondered if the Gamemakers decided to put rain in the forecast for today.

I inched my legs under me, slowly trying to push my back up. It tightened up, and I collapsed on my side, cursing in my head. If I was having this much trouble just trying to stand up because of a sore back, I could only imagine how much worse I'd be if I was up and walking. I couldn't imagine trying to run without my back hurting.

How did I end up on the ground? I remembered Bane offering his services as a mattress for me last night.

Victor had rolled into the fallen tree that nearly killed me last night, his hands under his head. Jenna looked like she was dead, lying still, her nose twitching, and a knife lying on her chest, clutched between her hands. I bet she was trying to play possum; there was no way she could fall asleep like that.

"You're awake," Bane whispered.

"You finally noticed?" I retorted. I squirmed restlessly. "Damn tree. If it hadn't fallen on me, I'd be up and running."

"How would you have been able to see it toppling over in the dark?" I heard him move behind me. "We didn't carry night vision goggles."

"We should have packed those," I sighed. "Speaking of last night, why am I on the ground?"

"Beats me. You probably rolled off." Maybe I did because I knew you'd get too comfortable last night. "Whoa, just stay down." I felt him put a hand on my side as I tried once again to move. "That's not a smart thing to do."

"Yeah, well, lying here isn't smart, either," I snapped. My hand grabbed my back. "I think I'm feeling older than I really am. I'm going through a mid-life crisis already—severe back pain."

"You're being overdramatic. I can help somehow, maybe."

"Unless you've got medicine on you to magically make my back feel young again, I doubt it."

"Stop being snippy with me and trust me for once, will you?"

I groaned. What choice did I have at this point? "Fine."

I recoiled when Bane moved his hands under my shirt to feel my back. I tensed, ready to backhand him if it was necessary. I waited, ready to make an excuse to slap him. I put my fist in my mouth when he started digging hard into my back with his fingers. Does he seriously think a massage is going to help me? It's making me worse!

My other hand bit into the ground, trying to help me fight off the intense pain. Bane did something, because my back started to feel better. My fingers unclenched the earth, a sign that I would make it through this without screaming in pain. I felt it safe to take my fist out of my mouth.

My muscles relaxed. I put my head on the ground. "Please tell me your mother is a doctor, because there's no way you found this out on your own," I grumbled, closing my eyes.