Chapter 56.

"Mason," I sigh, sitting upright and turning to face him.

"What?" he raises his brow.

"I want to look for my dad." I mumble, nervously looking away.

"Amara, why would you want to do that?" his eyes widen in disbelief.

"Why wouldn't I?" I scoff, "My mom relapsed, Carol is dead, I'm heading to Italy with my boyfriend so he can confront a notorious gang that have a vendetta against him, everything is a mess." I raise my voice slightly, immediately regretting it. Although, when I look to Mason, he isn't angry at all—he just looks... worried.

"He isn't a good person, Amara... you can't replace the lost good in your life by seeking out the bad, and hoping it's going to make things better." he tells me, his words truthful, strangely insightful for Mason; but nonetheless, I need to do this.

"But-"

"No, Amara, please listen." he cuts me off.

"You're just searching for someone to fill the gap that Carol left, and he cant do that. Nobody can. Bringing him back into your life will only cause more pain to everyone—your mom can't even say his fucking name, Amara," he gives me a sympathetic look, "If he had wanted you in his life, he would've tried—and he hasn't, not once; don't go searching for some abusive dick just because you miss Carol." he seems to bite his tongue slightly as if he regrets being so harsh in his latter statement, but he's right. The anger he has towards my dad is evident, it always has been.

"I don't want to get to know him, Mason.. I just want to know who he is—what he's doing now." I look down, twirling my hair.

"And that's just going to complicate things, Mar—you cant search for him and expect yourself to be able to quit once you know who he is."

I sigh, closing my eyes, "You're right."

"I'd have to look into him, know his life, the only other person that knew his name was..."

"Carol," he sighs, frowning slightly. "You don't need, or even really want him. It's guaranteed heartbreak."

"Now..," he shifts me back down to lay on his lap, "Let's just watch the sunset, and enjoy the last moment we can have together without the stresses of what's to come."

"Okay," I whisper.

—————

Dawn's POV:

My hand shakes as I pick up the last remaining bottle of rum in the whole house. Every hiding place, cabinet, backup bottle is empty—this is the last one. I unscrew the top, it's scent filling my senses and begging me to take one more sip. Just one more.

I press the cold opening of the bottle against my lips, waiting for the warm liquid to touch my tongue, to numb me.

"Goodnight Auntie Dawn!" the small voice yells from the guest room, making my chest ache; dropping the bottle from my lips.

"Goodnight, Isabella." I reply shakily, tipping the bottle upside down and pouring it down the sink, rinsing away the last temptation in my path right now.

Amara was right, I need this. I failed her again, for the final time. That's what I say every time, the final time, no more, never again. And here we are. I'd say this was an exceptional circumstance but I can't make any more excuses. The aching pit in my chest, it's been there since I got the news—your sister is your best-friend, always will be, right? Well mine was more than that. She helped me recover time after time, saving not only me but Amara from myself, and my own habits. She was my saving grace, and my biggest supporter.