Chapter 13- Welcome Home? (Family Pic)

Mulai dari awal

There was now a fire and gas was leaking out of the truck. Now I may only be six but I knew what would happen next. I watch a lot of television. I ran as fast as my stubby little legs would carry me, hoping there was a chance I could still save my mom. I was a couple of feet away from my mom’s car when the whole thing exploded. All I could remember after that was being blown back and some people coming to the scene. Help her. Forget about me. Save my mommy. These were the only thoughts in my mind at the time.

I woke up in a hospital and saw my dad, Jay-Jay, Scar, Quanny, and some other adults and nurses in the room, but not my mom. I searched around the room and still no sign of her. All eyes were on me and smiles came across my friends’ and the nurses’ faces.  Then I looked over to my dad who seemed as though he hasn’t slept in days and had tear stains on his cheeks.

“Daddy what’s wrong and where’s mommy,” I asked when I realized my mom was still nowhere to be found.

“Umm Saphie, your mommy’s gone,” my dad said as tears started to stream down his face.

“Gone, where? When is she coming back,” I asked nonchalant to the situation.

My dad knelt down to the side of my bed, gave me a hug, and said, “Sorry angel but mommy isn’t coming back. She’s dead baby girl.”

“No she’s not. Mommy told me she would never leave me. You’re lying. I want my mommy, she can’t be gone.”

“I’m sorry baby girl but she’s gone for good.” The tears continued to flow down my daddy’s cheeks.

My heart sank to my stomach when my dad told me this. I clung onto his neck and cried uncontrollably. Two weeks later was the funeral service, it was a closed-casket. I was asked to sing and surprisingly I was able to do it without crying. When it was time to bury her I broke down; just thinking what if she woke up, how would she come out? My dad explained to me why that can’t and won’t happen. The day after the funeral my dad left, so all of this was for nothing and it was all my fault. I was sent to live with my aunt Shelly but then moved to live with Scar because my aunt looked too much like my mom. After I was a little older they sent me back to my aunt. It was a lot of moving for a little girl.

Ever since that day I made a promise to myself that I would never do anything to put the people I love in danger again.

*End of Flashback*

I was snapped out of my thoughts by a knock on the door.

“Hey Saphire are you ok in there?”

“Yeah I’m fine, just can’t find anything to wear,” I said wiping away my tears. Without so much of a notice the door swung open and I was in a rib-crushing embrace from behind.

“I’m sorry I made you bring it up. I shouldn’t have pushed so far,” Gabriel said while loosening his arms a little around me and giving me a kiss on the back of my head.

“It’s ok. Like I said that was a long time ago.”

“You have to let go sometime Saphire. Now I understand why you say you are insecure. Let me tell you something whenever you feel insecure call me and I’ll be your security; if you’re emotionally damaged, I’ll magically become a handyman to fix you. I mean I’m already playing Superman remember?”

I laughed a little at that last comment. He was referring to the letter the psychopath left in the room after she or he or shim trashed it.

“So if you Superman, what does that make me?”

“You’re my Kryptonite.”

Whoa, whoa, whoa, and whoa. He is getting a little too comfortable now. It still is sweet though. Still he is Scar’s boyfriend. And people can call me a lot of things but I am not a man-stealer. I looked down at my watch and the time is now 11:45. Wow, where did the time go?