Chapter 3: Tennis Buddies (Gabriel's POV)

Tennis practice, tennis practice should I go. I mean it just started yesterday and someone on the team already hates me. Saphire, how could a name sound that beautiful? I just don’t know what I did wrong. I mean usually I don’t have problems with the ladies, but she is another story. If something like this would happen usually I’d just walk away, but I can’t with her. There’s something compelling about her, something mysterious. The only two questions on my mind are: Why aren't my charming looks and everything else working on her? And what did I do to make her hate me?

Come on Gabriel don’t let her get into your head. Sure she’s beautiful and has a smile that makes you weak, but she can’t control you.

No matter how many times I repeat my mantra I can’t believe myself. I remember yesterday and she was coming my way, she was smiling at a joke. She looked so young and carefree it literally took my breath away. She was a sight for sore eyes and I could watch her all day. She could pretty much have me do anything; all she had to do was ask. I’d be putty in her hand. But again for some reason she hates me and it hurts it really does. Maybe I didn’t have the best way of showing it.

You know what two can play this game. If she’s going to hate me for no reason then so can I. This task is going to be extremely difficult. I mean whenever I'm around her I can't help but smile. Her red hair makes her emerald green eyes stand out. Oh those eyes are greener than anything on earth. I finally made up my mind to go practice. Will I remain mad at her maybe, maybe not, it depends.

I was determined to do this, but when I reached I saw her, Saphire, I couldn't hold back the smile that came across my face. Oh what is this girl doing to me. Before I reached the court my smile vanished. I didn't want it to but I knew if I was going to pretend to hate her it had to go. This may be the hardest task I’ve set on myself. Like Mission Impossible or something. I noticed that she was breathing real hard, like she was running. Yeah, right I stood there and watch her and Scarlette run a total of one lap. Isn’t she a lazy one? I listened as she skillfully lied to, or persuaded, some may say, Mr. King that the both of them ran their eight laps.

I ran my laps all the while watching Saphire as she laughed and joked with Scarlette. She seems so young and carefree; like all is right in her world. Obviously she forgot the fact that she threatened me in science class. I still don’t get what that was about. It’s like she had someone in her head feeding her devious suggestions. I hope not she seems like a nut case already. When I was done with my laps Mr. King made an announcement. He said something about 'Tennis Buddies'.

He announced the pairs. I couldn't believe it I was paired up with Saphire. Yes! I mean no. no, I mean yes I mean no. wait what am I saying? Do I want this? Yes, yes I do. I’m I going to let it show? No, I want to, but I can’t show it. It would ruin the whole plan. Although right now I feel like I’m the luckiest person in the world. First we’re teamed up for science and now we’re “Tennis Buddies”. Life can’t get any better than it was today. Unless you know we end up going together; then and only then would life be perfect. Now might be the time I decide to take a relationship seriously. What is really happening to me?

Finally I remembered my plan. “Wait, what," I shouted. I saw Saphire open her mouth probably to say the same thing. Ha beat you to it shorty. I give myself a mental pat on the back.

"My partner is who?" I continued. Why stop when I’m so good at it? Exactly, I don’t see why either.

"Your partner is Saphire." Mr. King said.

"Well don't repeat it,” I started to scream before I could stop myself. Maybe I’m too good at it. Well another hidden talent of mine is that I’m an amazing actor. When I finally snapped out of my thoughts I noticed that I had managed to piss off both Saphire and Mr. King.