Matthew C. Roberts

By the time Janette arrives, Abbie is shaking a bit. It's at this point where I'd do anything to give her a hug... More than usual. I just want her to stop trembling, to comfort her. I want to see her smile again.

When Abbie answers the door, Janette struts in and sits on the couch without saying a word. Abbie awkwardly follows her and sits down at the other side of the couch. "So what's so important?"

Abbie takes a deep breath before blurting out, "You stole money from me at the house warming party."

"I- what?! Why would I do that?! Don't you trust me?!"

"You were the only one in my room besides me throughout my entire time here... You took the money from in between my notebooks!"

"This is ridiculous! I'm your own mother!"

"Please, then, is there any other reasonable explanation for my money missing? Did it disappear out of existence? Is there magic in the air?!" Abbie is on fire, she's now standing up from the couch in a confident stance. All her prior anxiety has disappeared.

"I'm not going to sit here and let you accuse me of theft! When you come to your senses, I'll be expecting a visit. You've gone mad! You've always been insane! I wish you were more like Ashley, at least she didn't accuse me of stealing money from her!"

I clench my fists, trying to conceal my rage. God, I wanted to slap her. Punish her for what she's done to Abbie. What she's said. But, oh God, the look on Abbie's face she quickly tries to cover up. A look filled with hurt. I move from my spot behind Abbie and go up to Janette, my lip trembling. "Never talk to Abbie like that again."

"What was that?!" Janette screams, standing up from the couch and dashing to the door. "I told you! You never listen! It's like we're not even family!"

"That's because you treat me like I mean nothing to you!" Abbie loudly retorts, tears dripping down her cheeks.

"Nevermind that! There's an evil spirit here! In this very room! I'm going, come to me when you come to your senses and I'll consider letting you move back in!" She storms out, slamming the door closed on the way, and Abbie is left a mess.

A few moments pass and Abbie quietly questions, "why did you say anything..?"

"I... I didn't mean to, it's just... It hurt to keep it inside. Not physically, it's... It's hard to explain. I just hated seeing you so hurt and... I couldn't control it anymore," I struggle to explain. She sighs, sliding to the floor against the couch. She covers her eyes with her hands, silently breaking down.

I'm so stupid. I should have concealed my anger... I mess up everything, don't I?

"Abbie, I... I'm so sorry- I didn't mean for any of this. I didn't think I'd get this angry. I didn't think I'd say anything," I sit down next to her on the floor.

"I know you didn't mean for anything to happen, but something... Something did happen... And I just need a moment," she mutters. I instinctively nod, realizing it did nothing for her since she can't see me.

"Of course... Just call me when you feel ready to talk. I'll be upstairs reading, I guess."

"Okay. Thank you for understanding."

I stand up and walk upstairs to the bookshelf, picking up a random book but never opening it.

I mess up everything.

I hate me sometimes. Times like right now, especially.