~20~

TobiasPOV

Holy crap, she remembers me.
She knows who I am but what am I doing?
      Right before Tris bumped into me she had this gleeful look on her face while she was running with that snappy Candor girl, Christina I believe.
      She looked . . . different.
      The new clothes, the messy hair, the chaotic glint in her eyes.
      Yet it all felt so familiar.
      I memory flashes in my head. The day we first met she took me to a hidden park which became one of the only safe places for me, a place where I could relax and be myself.
      She had led me through a hole in the wooden fence, towards the swing set. That very same chaotic glint in her beautiful eyes drew me in and never let me go.
      Throughout our entire childhood together she became a carefree, fun person. I was the one that was shy and Abnegation. It wasn't until the Aptitude test that I seriously considered Dauntless. Was she waiting to come here for me? Or was she just born to be Dauntless?
      My thought are interrupted as she crashes into me.
      "Oh! I'm so sorry!"
      I open my mouth to say "no worries" but nothing comes out.
      She looks up and meets my gaze,"Tob—I mean Four?"
She just barely catches herself before blurting out my name. I can hardly pull my eyes away from hers to see that she dropped her bag.
      "Tris, let me help you with that."
      I lean down to pick up her bag, wanting desperately to scream that I love her, that everything is going to be fine.
      Not the place, not the time.
      I force myself to remember. In Dauntless you don't just blurt your feelings in plain public. Who knows who's watching and what'd they do.
"Oh, uh thanks." She blushes and I just can't help myself.
"Tris, I—"
The Candor girl walks up and cuts me off,"Tris, what's going on here? Are you okay?"
      I keep a neutral face but I'm fuming.
      "Yeah, just dropped my bag." Tris' blush deepens.
Christina ignores the growing red and loops her arm through hers,"Well, we better head off. Uh, nice seeing you, Four." She gives me an annoyed up-and-down look.
      The second she's gone I roll my eyes. First time Tris is in Dauntless and she makes friends with the obnoxious one.
      I push that away. Tonight, at dinner, I'll pull Tris aside and tell her what I need to. Shoving my hands in my pockets, I veer towards my apartment.

...

      "WELCOME NEW INITIATES!" A lot of stomping and clapping at that,"You have chosen Dauntless..." Max continues to blab on with the usual new Dauntless "welcoming" speech.
      I don't look but I notice Tris and Christina make they're way towards a table not far from mine. It takes all my nerve to not stare at her.
      "And that's how...yo Four, you good?" Zeke waves a hand in front of my face.
      I snap my head up, my eyes had wandered to Tris' thick hair and shining smile,"Mm what?"
      Zeke smirks,"Is someone digging the new group?"
      I roll my eyes,"What are you talking about?"
      "Was it the tall brunette or petite blonde?" He starts checking out Tris' table,"The blonde one's cute."
      I grip my fork tighter,"Yeah, she's cute." I say through gritted teeth.
      He ignores my discomfort, but looks surprised at my confession. He then nudges me,"Go talk to her."
      "But—"
      "No," He pushes me off the bench,"this is like the first girl you're actually interested in. Besides, what could go wrong?"
      "First of all—"
      He waves me away,"I don't care, now shut up and go talk to her."
      Well, I was gonna approach her anyway.
      I walk hesitantly to her table, glancing back at Zeke. He gives me a thumbs up.
      The table shushes hurriedly once I approach. Christmas arches her eyebrow, the two other boys beside her look up in curiosity.
      "Uh hum, Tris." She looks up, a guarded expression painted on her face,"Can I talk to you?"
      "Well aren't we talking right now?"
      The boys go "oooh" and Chris offers Tris a high five which she politely disregards.
      "I mean privately."
      Christina smirks and leans over to whisper something in Tris' ear that makes her blush then scowl.
      She dwindles with her fork,"Sorry Four, but I'm with my friends." The new confidence in her tone takes me aback.
      I clench my jaw,"Then when can we talk?"
      Avoiding my eyes she smiles wryly,"When I feel like talking."
      I step toward,"Tris—"
      "You heard her, back off if you know what's good for you." Christina smiles proudly, giving Tris a "mission complete" fist bump.
      I nod,"Fine."
      When I turn I feel a delicate hand on my back,"Look no hard feelings." Her hand brushes mine and I feel a slip of paper glide into my palm.
       I can't help but grin,"Of course not."