~3~

Tris POV

      I trudge back through the darkness. My little meeting with Tobias over. I creep as quietly as possible.
      I had been tossing and turning in bed, unable to sleep. I decided I wanted to see Tobias. I had snuck out my window and had made my way to Tobias's house in pure darkness.
      Now I head back to my house, excited to see Tobias in the morning.
      As I crawl back through my window the lights in my room flick on. I turn to see my mother, sitting on my bed, with her arms crossed.
      I shriek and fall through the window, onto my bed.
      "Where have you been?" She ignores my clumsiness with a slight frown on her face.
      "Um . . . " I try to think of a sufficient lie but nothing comes to mind.
      "Oh, honey, don't be ashamed. I bet you went to see Tobias, am I right?"
      I stare at the floor,"Yes."
      My mother smiles,"Oh, dear, that's sweet."
      I look up, bewildered,"Aren't you mad?" I can't help but ask.
      "It did give me a shock to see your bed empty. Though I couldn't be angry when I assumed you went to see your friend."
We stand in awkward silence for a minute.
"Goodnight, sweetie. We've got clean-up duty down the street at ten. So be up in time."
She leaves the room without another word.
I sit on my bed, perplexed.
Within minutes I fall asleep.

...

Tobias POV

My alarm clock rings at 6:30 am sharp. I quickly turn it off, so not to rouse my father.
I get dressed in a plain gray shirt and jeans. The lack of color in this place makes me gag.
I tip toe downstairs and make myself breakfast as quietly as possible. I grab my toast and and leave the house.
Happily munching buttered bread as I head for the park. I get there just as my watch shows 7:00.
I sit on the swings and wait. Two minutes later Beatrice comes crawling out of the gap in the hedge. She dusts leaves and dirt from her plain gray sweater.
"Hey, Tobias."
"Hey."
"How're you?" Her eyes are concerned and I know why.
"It wasn't as bad as some of the others he's done."
Her eyes begin to water,"I'm so sorry you have to live with a monster like him." She practically spat the last words.
"You deserve better. Not a heartless, good for nothing . . ."
I let her rant on and on about how evil my father is. When she's finished, after a whole seven minutes, she calms herself down and tries, and fails, to look ashamed.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't explode like that."
I laugh,"You think I care? As long as it's about Marcus then you're good."
      We call my father by his first name, Marcus, when I'm in Beatrice's presence, she hates the thought of me thinking of him as a father.
      She grins,"I'm glad your not like everyone else."
      I look at her, puzzled,"What do you mean?"
      "Well, your way easier to talk to, you're more chill, and your okay with breaking the rules a little bit."
      I think about this,"Your the same way."
      She smiles,"Thank you."
      I decide to change the subject,"So what've you got going on today?"
      "I got clean-up duty to do at ten. What about you?" She answers.
      "I don't know, Marcus doesn't tell me much."
      There's a pause and then she speaks,"How about you come over for lunch, if you're free."
      I nod excitedly,"Yes, I'd love too."
      "What time is it?" She asks.
      I look at my watch,"Wow, it's already 8:00. The time has flown by."
      "I should go, my mom said to be back by 8 anyway." She says, sadly.
      "Marcus doesn't know I'm out. He shouldn't be awake yet, he sleeps in till 9:00 on most Saturdays."
      We leave the park together and split up once we get to the road.
      I head home, picturing the scenario in my head if Marcus is awake and shudder.
      Then the thought of lunch with Beatrice makes me feel better and I get to the house with light spirits.