~8~

TobiasPOV
Two years later, two days before the Choosing Ceremony

I hold onto Tris's hand, nervousness making it hard to think straight.
"It's okay, Tobias. You've still got some time to decide." Tris tries to comfort me.
"But I don't want to leave you."
"Hey, as long as you have this on," she grabs my wrist and holds it up to reveal the worn bracelet,"I'm with you."
"But—but—"
She puts a finger to my lips,"I'll be fine, you'll be fine."
She puts a soft kiss on my lips. I smile, I remember when we first did that, right here in this park.

Flashback to a year and a half ago

I sway back and forth on the swings of the hidden park, Tris copying my movements.
We talk about random things, enjoying each other's company.
Her hand brushes mine and, with a sudden urge, I softly grab her hand. She intwines her fingers with mine. We fall into silence.
All of a sudden, Tris leans in and before I know it we're kissing.

End of Flashback

      I grin at the memory.
      "What're you thing of?"
      When she pulls away I instantly miss her soft lips.
      "When we first kissed."
      She smiles,"I'm glad you liked it."
      I chuckle, I had momentarily forgotten about my anxiety. She has a way of calming me down.
      "But when you do leave, where would you go?"
      I come crashing back into reality.
      "I don't know."
      "You should be in Dauntless."
      My mouth drops,"What?"
      "Oh, come on. You have the bravery for it and determination."
      "I'm only like that when you're around. Otherwise, I'm not brave or determined."
      "Tobias, I know who you really are and I know you would make it in Dauntless."
      "I'm not brave."
      I look down at the ground.
      She grabs my chin and lifts it up so that I'm looking into her blue/gray eyes.
      "Living with a monster like Marcus takes more bravery than most anyone can muster."
      I shake my head,"I can never stand up to him, do you call that bravery?"
      "Look, you do stand up to him, in a way, I've seen it."
      "What do you mean?" My curiosity is sincere.
      "You don't let him get you down, you tolerate his foul behavior, and you were able to visit me behind his back. Now that takes a lot of courage."
      I look away, I'm still unable to believe that I'm brave or courageous.
      She grabs my face again, forcing me to look into her face.
      "I won't make you decide but I think you should trust your gut. Whatever you choose, I'll support you."
      I grab her hand again, rubbing it gently,"Thank you."
      "You're welcome." She kisses me on the cheek.
      She looks down, checking the small wristwatch on her arm.
      She sighs,"I have to go. I'm sorry."
      "It's okay. I'll see you tomorrow."
      "Okay, bye."
      She gives my hand a squeeze and leaves the shade of the tree.
      "Bye."