~18~

He quickly covers his wrist,"Excuse me?"
      Doubt trickles into my mind. Could this really be him? If so, he has changed so much. If not, how did he get that bracelet?
      I shake my head, deciding to confront him later,"Uh, nothing."
      He leads me to the side as we wait for the other initiates.
      I keep glancing over at him, how could I not? 1) He's hot, hotter than most guys I've met. And 2) He could quite possibly be my long lost lover.
      "So, what do you do here?" I try to keep my voice level but I can hear how squeaky it comes out.
      He looks at me with a hard expression, obviously hiding emotions,"Initiation instructor." Then looks away, ending the conversation.
There's no way Tobias was that brooding, right?
      We wait as one after another initiates fall into the net, sometimes screaming, flailing, or merely falling like rag dolls. That last one was kinda weird to watch.
Tobias, or not Tobias, gathers all the initiates and raises his hands for silence, all chatter comes to an immediate stop.
He fixes us with a stern glare, not harsh but stern,"I am Four—"
Chris cuts him off,"Four as in the number?"
I don't hear his response, the breath has caught in my throat and my head is racing. Four = four fears. Who else has that nickname? Tobias.
      I look up at him but he is not looking at me. He seems indifferent or at least oblivious.
Does he know it's me?
      I'm hardly listening to him explain sleeping situations and rules. I just feel Christina tugging on my arm.
      "Hey, you good?"
      I smile,"Yeah, I think I got a little light headed from the drop but I'm fine."
      She nods,"Well, we better catch up to the rest."
      I notice that we're pretty far behind the group following Tobias, or rather Four.
      We jog to catch up.

TobiasPOV

      I only see a flash of blonde hair and gray clothes before she hits the net, bouncing up.
      Blonde, Abnegation, nothing special.
      Though a tiny piece of my was praying that it was her. Another part of me was screaming at me to move on, to forget.
      But still, that little glimmer of hope.
      I'm pushing aside the fact that I lied to her to keep her safe, to let myself believe that this could be her now.
      She has an ecstatic smile on her face, fits of giggles escaping her lips, and her bun is askew but I can't be for sure yet.
I reach towards her, she grabs my hand and I pull her out of the net.
"Thank—" She looks up and our eyes make contact.
My breath lodges in my throat, and that's when I know.
She's so beautiful. Even when she doesn't think so.
Stray wisps of blonde hair frame her face. She doesn't look much different than two years ago, just a little older. Her blue/gray eyes shine with determination and she's always been able to show her most heart felt emotions through them. Her lips are so perfect, and her nose fits perfectly next to mine, at least it did back then.
I shake off my shock at seeing her,"What's your name?"
      "Oh, uh . . . Tris."
      I turn and yell,"First jumper, Tris!"
      Then raise my hand to signal to Zeke and the others.
She looks at me wrist curiously, then realization sparks in her eyes,"Tobias?"
Ah what do I do?!?!
I raise an eye brow, quickly lowering my arm,"Excuse me?"
I mentally slap myself.
What am I doing?
Now is not the time.
She looks down, her mouth slightly turned down,"Uh, nothing."
      I lead her to the side as we wait for the other initiates.
      In my peripheral vision I can see her glancing at me but quickly looking away.
      Should I talk to her?
      Not now, too many people around.
      I want to reach out to her and envelope her in a hug but I can't, at least not yet.
"So, what do you do here?" She asks to break the silence.
I look over at her,"Initiation instructor." Then turn away, not letting my emotions show.
Finally, I gather the rest of the initiates.
I raise my hands for silence and they all shut up immediately.
Hey, that's one thing Dauntless has taught me, other than how to break someone's spine.
"I am Four—"
"Four as in the number?" One Candor girl with a short, black haircut. She stands next to Tris with her arms crossed.
I look her dead in the eyes, she quivers slightly under my gaze,"Yes, is there a problem?"
"Oh uh-uh no, Four, sir." She stutters.
I long to look at Tris, to reassure her that I'm here, it's me. She probably knows that by now but what does she think I'm doing? Does she think I've changed?
Well, I have changed but I still love her, I always have.
I always planned on keeping that promise I made so long ago.
I will never forget you. I will always love you.
Has she kept that promise?

Tobias and Tris: A Childhood Together जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें