~9~

TrisPOV

      I hurry back to the house, as the sunsets rays cast an orangish glow on the clouds.
I walk through the plain gray door just as Mom is finishing dinner.
"How was your time with Tobias?" She smirks at me from the sink.
"Mom!"
Her and Caleb are the only ones who know about me and Tobias. When I told her she was completely unsurprised but rather excited. She had promised not to tell anyone, and I trust her.
Caleb on the other hand wasn't to fond of the idea. Though he promised he wouldn't tell.
"Don't say that so loudly."
She chuckles and continues to wash her dishes.
I help her set the table as my dad comes down from upstairs.
"Where were you earlier?"
He doesn't sound demanding, just curious.
"I'd gone for a walk."
I reach up to rub the back of my neck, I've always had a hard time lying to my dad, or anyone for that matter.
He nods, not suspecting anything.
The rest of the evening is uneventful.

TobiasPOV

I watch Tris disappear out of sight. When I no longer see her, I start to walk in the direction of my house.
      I drag my feet and kick stones while I walk, knowing what will most likely await me at home.
      Inevitably, I get to my front door. I sigh and open it. It makes a loud creaking noise and I cringe, I've always hated that door.
      A loud snore emits from the living room. To my relief, Marcus doesn't wake up.
      I slowly close the door, successfully doing so without making any noise. I tiptoe to the stairs and begin to ascend them.
Creak!
      Shit.
      "Huh?"
      Marcus heavy steps come closer. Before I know it his foul breath fans my neck.
      "Tobias, where were you?" He growls.
      The hairs on the back of my neck stand up as I turn around.
      "I went for a stroll."
      I takes him a minute to process my words. I see the empty bottle in his right hand.
      "Ready for your Aptitude test tomorrow?"
      This time it takes me a minute to process his words. The question had caught me off guard.
"Yeah, I think so."
I turn around to head back upstairs but he grabs my arm.
"You remember what to do, right?" His words are urgent, insistent.
Over the last few years he has been teaching me, training me on what to do on the Aptitude test. This is technically not allowed but he did it anyway. This makes me wonder what he's so worried about.
      I nod and he lets go. He's silent as I make my way upstairs and into my room.
      As I change and brush my teeth (the usual bedtime routine) I think of what I'll do tomorrow.
      I know what to expect. Once the hallucination starts I will be offered a chunk of cheese and a knife. I'll choose the cheese and a dog will appear to attack me. I'll give the dog the cheese then wake back up.
      Simple and easy.
      These thoughts swirl through my head as I fall asleep. I make a promise to myself.
Tomorrow I'll go by instinct, not by Marcus's teaching.
A small defiance against my abusive father.