~13~

TrisPOV

      We make eye contact and I nod slowly, giving my consent.
      He smiles then turns back to the bowls, letting his blood drip onto the red hot coals with a sizzle.
      "DAUNTLESS!" His father yells, but the confusion is written all over his face. Confusion and anger.
      When Tobias turns to leave Marcus grabs his arm but Tobias shakes it off as he leaves to the cheering Dauntless crowd.
      I'm rooted in place, too many strong emotions swirling in me. Relief, fear, happiness, sadness. They all fight within me, fighting for dominance.
      I just stare at him as he gets high fived and patted on the back. Congratulated by his new faction, his new family.
      He turns back and our eyes meet. He mouths 'I love you' before he's pulled back into the throng of black and red.
      I feel my eyes start to brim with tears. I'm not sad though, I'm happy for him, relieved that he can finally let go of his past. Sure, I'll miss him. His deep blue eyes, his strong arms, his reassuring smile.
      I feel myself start to break down. I run out of there before the tears come. The second I'm outside the tears come flowing. The start out gentle and slow but quickly turn into huge bucket fulls.
      Strong arms wrap me in a hug. I jump a little by the surprise but relax when I see who it is.
      "Tobias." I whisper.
      "Tris, I love you and that will never change." He whispers back.
      We stand like that for only a minute before a Dauntless member comes outside.
      "Hey! New kid, let's go. The train is coming."
      "I gotta go, I'm sorry." He mumbles.
      I shake my head,"No, don't be sorry. This is what you chose and I'm happy for you."
      He smiles,"I love you."
      "I love you too."
      The impatient Dauntless member stomps over,"Break it up, love birds."

...

TrisPOV
A month later

      That night I'm standing by the train tracks. It's so dark in this part of Abnegation, the only light is from the twinkling stars and full moon.
      Goosebumps appear on my arms as the a cool breeze envelops me.
      After half an hour the train finally comes. Only slowing down slightly when it gets here, but not stoping.
      Two dark figures jump out, rolling as they hit the ground. Both I recognize.
      "Tris." He wraps me in a hug.
      "Tobias." I snuggle into his chest, melting into him.
      "Uh hem." Tori not so subtly coughs.
      "Do you need something?" Tobias almost growls.
      I'm a little taken aback. Dauntless has changed him but in more good ways than bad. He's more sure of himself and he's more determined than ever to survive in the harshness of Dauntless. He's also physically stronger. Don't get me wrong, I loved his small, soft form before but now he's so much stronger.
      "Well Four, shouldn't you tell your girlfriend what I told you?" She snaps back.
      Four, his new nickname. For only having four fears.
      "Oh yeah, that."
      I look between him and Tori,"What do you need to tell me?"
      He sighs,"I can't meet you at night anymore."
      I gasp,"Why? Is someone after you?"
      We both know the dangers of being Divergent. As far as I'm aware, only me, him, and Tori know.
      "Something like that. They've stepped up the security. Starting tomorrow there's a curfew, they won't let me out even if I'm with Tori."
      I groan.
      He shakes his head,"I can't believe I've even survived this long. I guess that's all thanks to Amar."
      "Excuse me?" Tori puts her hands on her hips.
      "And you of course." He smiles at her. She rolls her eyes but let's it drop.
      "Amar? Who's Amar?"
      "Oh right. He's one of my . . . mentors you could say. He saw my test results but he's totally trustworthy."
      I nod,"Okay. So, back to the other topic, we can't see each other anymore?"
      Tobias looks down. I turn to Tori and she nods solemnly.
      I sigh,"If that's what keeps you safe then I'm willing to do it."
      He looks deep into my eyes,"I love you, Tris."
      His lips capture mine before I can respond. It's long and tender, slow and sweet.
      I break away to catch my breath. He pulls me into a strong hug, nuzzling his face into my neck.
      "I love you too, Tobias."
      The headlights of the train approach. Making us pull away.
      He silently walks to the tracks, silhouetted by the lights of the train.
      "I will never forget you. I will always love you." He runs along the train, jumping in right after Tori.
      "I will never forget you. I will always love you." I repeat to the silent night air.