~14~

TobiasPOV

"I will never forget you. I will always love you." I murmur, walking back to the tracks as the blinding lights of the train approach.
I hop on as it whirls by, grabbing onto the handle and pulling myself in. Right before I'm swept away Tris mutters the start of a sentence.
"I will never—"
I sigh as her dark figure disappears from sight.
Tori comes up behind me and puts a hand on my shoulder,"You didn't have to lie to her, even if it was for the best."
I growl and punch the metal of the train,"What else could I have done?! Tell her I'm scared? Tell her she might be in danger just for associating with me? Tell her my life is on the line from now until forever?"
I stare her down but she stands there, unflinching.
Suddenly an overwhelming sadness makes my shoulders slump.
I lean my head against the cool metal,"I couldn't. I can't. She's the love of my life and if hiding the truth means keeping her safe, I will do it. I can't tell her they murdered Amar. That they're suspecting me and could come after me. That would put her in a panic, make her scared and worried about me."
I groan and slide from the wall onto the floor. I put my head in between my arms, not willing to show the tears brimming in my eyes.
"Amar was my instructor and a good friend. Not only does it scare me to think that a whole faction, my faction, is after we cause of something I have no control of but also I lost a mentor. The man who could keep my secret safe and got murdered cause he was like me, Divergent." I almost spit the word out.
Tori's hand brushes my shoulder and it is surprisingly gentle,"You're not the only one who lost someone due to a corrupt society."
I look up at her,"What do you mean?"
She takes a seat next to me,"My brother was murdered cause he was Divergent. He didn't know and was showing off his skills. It got him killed."
She sighs, angry tears in her eyes,"I had fallen asleep at the tattoo parlor and woken up to a rushing crowd outside. Curious, I ran outside to see the source of the chaos. They were hauling a body from the Chasm. This happened every so often so I didn't really care until I saw his face. His eyes blank and staring, his jaw hanging open, cuts and bruises everywhere, his body bloated . . ."
She lets out a silent sob, shaking her head slightly,"I knew he would never kill himself. Everyone liked him so that eliminated some options. I jumped to every conclusion possible, blaming his friends, his instructor, all the leaders etc. At one point I even accused his girlfriend. That is until I heard from Amar."
Tears rim her eyelids at the memory of her dead friend,"He was a few years older than me but was against the leaders from the beginning. Since I then had someone/something to blame, I jumped for it. I now realize the truth."
She looks me dead in the eyes,"Don't trust the government."
We sit in silence as I process her words.
I attempt to comfort her, in a way, but she shakes my hand off without looking at me.
Once the Dauntless compound comes into sight we prepare for the jump, leaning on the doorway.
Without looking at me, she speaks,"You can trust Tris, she trusts you. Love her while you can."