Anam Cara (Alternative)

It was the end of a long day of work

It was the end of a long day of work. All the workers had left excited to go home. Only one person was sitting in his office room doing work of the next day in advance. This was a daily routine. After ending, pressing the send button off the mail, he leaned back on his black leather office chair.

He massaged his temples as he got rid of his reading glasses which he had put on to read some documents.

Finance is a major factor in a company. There is at least one issue related to finance everyday and working as the financial analyst for a company is a huge responsibility. Usually, the person in this position would try to escape their work but this one person wanted more, as his wish to escape pain was greater.

He rested his head on his leather chair and closed his eyes. Her face as usual flashed in his closed vision. A small smile came to his face. He turned his chair towards the big window of his office which gave perfect view of the bustling city. The roads had a clear picture of the hurry the people are in to return to their homes. The urge to just stand infront of the door until a very loved one, for whom your heart aches to get a glance the whole day, opens the door. His expression hardened as he remembered that he was the one that had closed that door, and now he has to wait until the owner of the door wishes to open. He is waiting and will always be. It's been 6 years and he did not stop loving her, reminiscing each features of her, waiting for her.

He got his phone from the work table and opened it. His lock screen flashed with a picture of her from the graduation which he had secretly taken while she was not looking. Her face held an uninterested look but indescribable beauty. Her dark brown hair open in its normal state. As usual no makeup but the natural beauty of hers is enough to cover it up. She wore the typical black gown which everybody wears on a graduation day. Her look reciprocated that of everyone else but to him she was an exception. He caressed his mobile screen as a small smile came to his face automatically. His heart ached. He closed his phone and looked up. He took deep breaths as pain flashed in him.

He turned around and closed his laptop packing up. It was almost nine in the evening. His office ends at six. He sighed. He packed up and went out of his office, locking it. He walked out of the building and was greeted by the guard. He returned the gesture. Heading towards the parking lot an unknown feeling grabbed onto him. It was a feeling he had not felt for quite a long time but he shrugged it off. He opened his car door and started the car. As he passed by the familiar streets of the city many memories flashed through his mind. There were many couples walking hand in hand. One couple had caught his attention. It was a young couple. The boy had his grip around the girl protectively as they walked. The girl had a smile on her face. He felt a sting in his heart.

'I wish I had treated her this way at that time instead of doing what I did. Maybe things would have different' He thought to himself and sped up

He reached his apartment building soon. He entered the parking and parked his car in the designated area. His eyes fell upon the car of the 17th floor. He sighed looking at it. He entered the elevator and again his eyes fell on the 17th floor button. He nearly pressed on it lost in his thoughts but came back to realisation when he understood what he was about to do. He gulped and pressed to the 11th floor. He reached and opened the door. Darkness greeted him as soon as he entered. He flicked the lights on. As usual an air of loneliness greeted him.