{ 29 }

« 10/1/18 - 6:13 a.m. »

♡ ♡ ♡

I woke up refreshed for once.

I had nothing much to worry about since Tessa was completely out of the picture and Aiden and I weren't constantly in war with each other. The boy even promised me that I could slap him for what happened yesterday.

Because of all of that, I got ready for school in a good mood. And I was going to school. Like, school as in seeing people that I don't want to see. And working on things that I don't want to work on. Next thing you know, the wearing-all-black phase faded away too.

Even James was surprised.

But since I haven't told him yet, I spared some time to explain what happened with Aiden and how we were okay again. And how I broke up with Tessa. And how I accidentally made a dirty joke while talking to Aiden that may or may not have sounded like I wanted to do things to him.

Shit was a roller coaster, man.

Soon enough the doorbell rang and I sprung out of my seat, running at a tremendous speed to open the door. Opening it to Aiden's face, you could see how overwhelmed he was by my sudden hyper-ness.

"Someone's happy," he chuckled.

"Enjoy it," I heard James shout from the kitchen. "Seriously, it's not gonna last."

Aiden looked behind me and smiled at my brother, giving him a nod that said hi. Once his gaze dropped back down to me there was that same glint in his eye that made it hard to breathe. "Your brother's cool," he whispered to me.

"I know," I said. "He's the best." I looked back toward James and gave him a sweet smile. "We're heading out," I called to him.

- - -

Aiden and I took the tiny walk from my driveway to the sidewalk saying nothing, but the happiness I had was still so obviously showing between the two of us.

We haven't even gotten far but you could see the indent in the pile of leaves that Aiden tackled me into just yesterday afternoon. "Still up for slapping me?" he asked, probably noticing it too.

I put up my hand and swung quickly, just to scare him, but I stopped only centimeters away from his face. He flinched a lot more than I thought he would. So with a gentle slap to the side of his cheek, I said. "Too precious to ruin."

He laughed it off as we continued down our path. Oakwood High was already in sight by the time we walked another block.

"Wanna stay over at mine tonight?" Aiden asked out of the blue. "My parents have to leave early the next morning to a business meeting and I hate waking up alone." Though I could hear the genuine hurt in his voice when talking about his parents, he coughed up a stifled laugh to make everything less awkward.

"I don't know, A. We have that big test in French on Monday. Mrs. Demissy's already disappointed in me because I'm never paying attention in class. If I don't study my ass off, my parents will kill me," I said reluctantly. I would've said yes right away, but what I told him was true. Our teacher already warned me that she'd call my parents if I continued to slack off. "Sorry."

"Oh," he just barely said.

"But we'll see, alright?" I told him. Leaving it at 'sorry' was a jerk move that I wasn't willing to take.

Thankfully, I made him smile with that last bit of assurance, so he put an arm around my neck. It was a feeling I forgot about. Maybe he did it on purpose, maybe he didn't, but I could feel his thumb brush softly against my neck with each step. Goosebumps were sent all over my arms and my sweatshirt was kind enough to hide it.