{ 4 }

***

The locker room already smelled disgusting, though it was my first time being in there. It was spacious with rows of lockers filling it.

I tried searching for Andrew, but I had no luck. There were too many freshmen boys piled into the locker room and waiting for them to leave was no use. Each turn was a new obstacle to get through everyone.

Eventually, I made it to the door which led outside, where everyone was instructed to go.

The closest bleachers were full of students, both boys and girls. I noticed most of the people. Some of their names I didn't remember, but their face I do from middle school. Again, I searched for Andrew, but he was nowhere to be seen. Instead of finding him I found Jack. He was sitting at the end of the bleachers by himself. I could tell he was waiting for me.

I jog my way to where he was and sat beside him.

"Do you know if Andrew's here or not?" I ask.

"No, why?" Jack said.

"No reason, I just wanted to know."

He raised an eyebrow at me and I knew that I had to explain and say something.

I had no reason to resist. So I told him. Or I began to tell him. "Fine, I needed to-"

"Okay, freshmen babies!" Our gym teachers interrupted, catching everyone's attention. "Let's get started."

***

They all say that people like me hated gym. That we hated exercising and sports. That we were geeky and weak. I guess the last two wasn't a lie for me, because telling people that I'm strong just makes me sound weak, but the rest were.

Sports were what I was most interested in. I loved gym, especially when we had to run. That's only because, since 4th grade, people said that I was the fastest runner in our grade. That hasn't changed since then. But even if I was taken off that rank I wouldn't care. The sport I liked the most was basketball. Jack's driveway has had a basketball hoop even from before he was born. Every time we'd hang out that was our go-to.

Seventh-grade was when I really started being serious with the sport. I'd practice every day in Jack's driveway. Then competing it with my school team was always a blast. Jack would come and cheer me on every time. The practice was always my favorite. Training really did help and I felt like in each game I played, I got better and better. My coach agreed with me too. Sadly, since I'm in high-school now, there's a new coach. And basketball tryouts aren't too far away.

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that gym wasn't bad. I was told that gym, especially in high-school, sucked. I, on the other hand, thought it was perfectly fine. Just like every other gym I had.

"I just don't know how you do it," Jack told me in the locker room.

Jack was athletic too, but his endurance was too low to run as much as I did.

"Practice, I guess," I tell him, pulling my shirt over my head. "And endurance. You just get tired too easily." I pick up my stuff and whip my backpack over my shoulder.

"Excuse me?" Jack sounded offended. But that's exactly what I was going for.

Without an apology or addressing anything that was said before, I told him, "Get your stuff together and do whatever the hell you need to do then meet up with Aiden and me at the freshman entrance at no later than 2:05."