{ 6 }

"But he's not gay, either," Andrew's cold, serious, tone from yesterday rang in my hears. "And I'm telling you this because of something that happened this summer."

I longed to ask him what happened, but his dad demanded him to come home before I could say anything.

There were bags under my eyes. I stayed up all night thinking about what Andrew said. I had only about three hours of sleep and I didn't feel stable. When he first told me it wasn't just a dream, my stomach flipped a few times. When he told me that Aiden is . . . bisexual? I was surprised. Next thing I knew I was making generalizations about him. I kept on telling myself that Andrew was lying since Aiden didn't act or look the part. It was stupid of me to assume things like that.

I looked at Aiden differently today. But not in a bad way . . . nor a good way. I didn't know what got into me but I started to avoid him. My family is Christian and pretty religious, except, my brother and I aren't. We avoid going to church with them but we never told them why. And what scared me most was how my parents would react if they ever found out.

I didn't hate Aiden for it all. It just made me feel . . . awkward. I thought about telling James, but I didn't think that now would be the best time to. Instead, I thought right now would be the best time to ask Andrew what happened this summer. But he was busy. It was lunch. And I was completely spaced out, not noticing until now that my gaze was stuck on the back of Tessa Blossom's head.

"Hey, Vinnie? Are you even listening to what I'm saying?" I heard someone beside me ask. It broke my train of thought. By the nickname he called me, I realized it was Aiden. My blurred vision started to go back to focus. "Vinnie?"

I turn to look at him. He ran his hand through his golden blonde hair. I can't believe I was just thinking so badly of him. "Yeah, sorry, I just blanked out," I told him. "And I didn't get enough sleep last night."

"Why not?" he asked.

I shrugged. Aiden didn't deserve to know what happened yet. Not here, not now, probably not ever. I didn't want to ruin his friendship with Andrew too.

Aiden put his elbow on the table and rested his head on his hand, facing me. "Well, Jack said that he had to go. And I saw him leave with Allison. I bet they're making out in the janitor's closet," Aiden joked, oblivious to my anger when the words left his mouth.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Of course they are.

It was until now he noticed that something was wrong. Aiden's face had concern written all over it. "Are you okay? You've been acting strange ever since I first walked you to school this morning," he spoke.

"No, it's okay, nothing's wrong. I'm just stressed because of . . . a project," I told him. Aiden nodded, but I bet my hesitations made it pretty clear I was lying. "Nothing big."

"Okay," he trailed, unconvinced. "Anyway, Carter Daniels posted on his Insta' story that he's having a party at his house next Friday and the whole freshmen year is invited. Some upperclassmen are coming too, though. People say that his house is extreme."

I stuffed a piece of pizza in my mouth and nodded. "Yeah, I've seen it. He has a big pool too. Along with two trampolines and a zipline." I glance at him and chuckle. For a split second, our eyes met, and I pull away quicker than I wanted to.

"But, uhm," Aiden stuttered. "I was wondering if you wanted to go with me? Except, I don't have a date since I barely know anyone and I don't have a ride either."

"Don't worry. My brother's cool. He'll probably drive us and maybe join."

Aiden looks at me and smiles. "Okay."