{ 23 }

« 9/20/18 - 11:27 a.m. »

♡ ♡ ♡

Lunch hasn't changed. I still have to sit by Aiden, Tessa, her hooligans, Andrew, Serena, Lily, Carter, and the people whose existence is literally irrelevant to me in every way.

Someone mentioned that I was being distracted the whole time, which was true, but I wasn't even entirely sure why. I was looking around the cafeteria, paying attention to every minute detail that my eyes caught as if it mattered.

A few tables down I caught Jack and Allison talking at an empty table. They still disgusted me; from the way Jack traced his finger on her shoulder, to the way they looked at each other.

Jack. I need to talk to him.

"Tessa, I gotta . . . do something real quick," I say in the midst of a conversation. She was paying no mind to me and very lazily let her arm fall from around my neck. While I stood, I could see both Aiden and Andrew looking at me, but they didn't bother asking what I was doing.

I got the perfect chance when I overheard Jack telling Allison that he needed to get a spork. I followed him to where all the plastic silverware was, but kept my footsteps quiet so he wouldn't know I was following.

When he finally turned around, he almost looked shocked to see me. For a moment he looked like he didn't even know me. I know it's not right to think something like that, but what was I supposed to expect from a guy whose been ignoring me for the past few weeks?

"Uh, hey, Vincent, what's up?" Jack stuttered, taking a few steps back. I didn't realize I was so close to him.

"Can we talk? Please? Outside?" I ask.

Before an answer comes, he looks out the window, where few people were eating. It was chilly outside, plants dying, orange and red leaves falling from the branches, wind blowing missing sweatshirts away. Jack looks back at me and shrugs, then takes a glance at Allison.

"You got five minutes," he finally says.

I bring Jack outside with me, sitting at a far and empty lunch table that was isolated from the rest of the people. For a good thirty seconds, we sat there in silence. I fidgeted with the strings on my hoodie and stared at my feet while Jack kept his eyes locked on me. I've never been this quiet with him before.

"So . . ." I start, finally breaking the silence. "You and Allison seem to be getting along well." I'll say.

Instead of even attempting to say something positive, Jack scoffs. "I thought you hated her."

"I do," I say bluntly.

"Wow, thanks, my girlfriend will be delighted to hear that," he mutters.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Jack is dating Allison Baker, the girl that we've been trash-talking since the sixth-grade. "I thought you hated her too, you know," I talk back. "We hated her. Because we both knew that she hoe'd around with every boy that gave her a single sexual glance. And we promised each other that we wouldn't let a girl break us apart."

"Yeah and Allison's not breaking us apart. We're still friends."

"Friends?" I choke up a sarcastic laugh. "Ever since both of you started sticking your tongues down each other's throats it's as if I don't fucking exist to you anymore. I don't walk to school and back with you anymore. I barely talk to you anymore. And I hate that. I can't be friends with someone who changed their whole personality for a girl, let alone Allison." I desperately look into Jack's eyes, waiting for him to say a sorry. But it doesn't come.