Chapter Twenty-Two: Never Let Go

Start from the beginning

"I'll always love you most, Abaddon," I tell my demon, causing him to melt a little in my mind.

"I love you as well, my little witch." He tells me in a loving coo.

I shrug, leaning on the stair railing, looking at the portrait.

"I just- It's insanely complicated, and I don't wish to trouble you," I say, cringing. Vindictus grins at me, kindness shimmering in his expression.

"Nonsense child. This is the most excitement I've had in a while." He admits, making me smile at him.

I decide to be vague, not trusting the almost too silent halls.

"What would you do if you were suddenly taken away from everything you ever knew and put in someplace utterly different. You had one task to accomplish in this time, and you have no idea how to do it." I question.

Professor Viridian stares at me for a second and then points at me. "Who cares what I would do.... what would you do?" He puts me on the spot. I glare at him.

"I asked you for a reason!" I demand, and he gives a sharp laugh.

"No. No dear.... you asked me to validate what you already know. You know what to do....you're just a coward." He taunts, and I scowl.

"I am no coward." I snap, but he scoffs.

"You come crying to your grandmother whenever you have a problem! Go deal with them yourself like a grownup should. Hufflepuff, aren't you... I knew a couple of brave Hufflepuffs.. don't think you're one of them." He mocks.

I grit my teeth.

His tone turns kind. "Go face your troubles, head-on girl. Face them with your wand out and your head high. You are deadly powerful if you are a descendant. Use that. Use that cunning wit of yours. You're also dreadfully kind. Kind people are never associated with weakness. People with none of it may think kind people are weak, but it's the most powerful weapon one can wield." He scolds me.

"Don't ever make that mistake. You are kind. Those yellow robes are proof of that. Sometimes it takes great strength to smile and say kind words. So go and show those utter bastards your beautiful smile. Show them nothing can make you fall down in defeat."

I gape at the man in front of me and then smile slowly, making him grin at me. "Ah. There it is. There is that lovely smile." He sighs, making my heart warm at his words.

"Thank you." I breathe, realizing how utterly right he was.

"You're welcome, child." He gives me a look, and when I turn around to walk back into the Great Hall to give Albus and Tom another piece of my mind, Professor Viridian calls me back.

"Valentine, sweetie...." He calls, and I turn back to see his grim face. "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or just the smallest act of caring....all of which have the potential to turn a life around." He states, giving me a knowing look.

I pale.

Nodding at the professor slowly, I move to leave. "Do you UNDERSTAND ME! Valentine!" He hollers, and I spin around.

"Yes. I understand, Professor. Thank you." I repeat for again, my head whirling.

This time when I leave, he doesn't stop me.