Chapter 19

Just a chapter created for the holidays to get past some of the angsty-ness of the story. The picture is drawn by a friend on Quotev.

~~~~^*^~~~~

Large green eyes blinked up at the sky in a cute curiousness, a small redhead cocking to the side as her sparkling gaze peered out of the cave and towards the unknown — what was once a dried out meadow surrounded by tall pine trees (jagged rocks rising around them) was now nothing more than a fresh blanket of sparkling coldness. Untouched and sparkling as the sun rose over the tall peaks of the little dragon's home.

Have just hatched at the end of the summer, the baby dragon had never seen any snow before and she was curious albeit cautious.

With a small coo, the little dragon slowly edged closer and closer until a thin layer was just mere inches away. Uncertain of what to expect, the baby dragon stuck out a paw and gently dabbed her at the snow, shrieking in a startled manner with small cute chirps. Cold! This stuff was cold. Eyes narrowing, the little dragon slowly reaches a paw out again and, as quick as lightning, struck the cold slush once more only to have it sink through.

The reaction was just as before, startled chirps and quickly retracting paw that tried to shake the snow off as if it had burnt the hatchling. Scrambling back with what sounded like a hiss, the little dragon scurried up onto a nearby rock, slipping clumsily a few times before settling on top with a faint hiss. There was something off about this... stuff. It was colder than anything that the baby dragon had felt before and rather odd-looking, so colorless yet at the same time sparkling with different colors that reminded her of the crystals deep within the cave that her mother had shown her before.

But it was the unknown that had her afraid to go out and explore.

Her mother and siblings had left earlier to get something to eat leaving her behind because she refused to walk out into the dreaded blanket of coldness. Her squeaks of protest and wild wing flaps were loud as she ignored her mother's gentle words of encouragement, tugging away from her giggling siblings as they tried to pull her out. And so, she was left in the cave as they wandered off. It was a bit terrifying at first being alone, everything large and colder, every little sound louder and much more noticeable than before as she curled into the corner like a scared animal. It wasn't until a few minutes ago that she finally got distracted when the sound of water dripping drew her to the mouth of the cave where she tried to investigate... next thing she knew, she was near the snow and now, well, everything pretty much led her to where she was now, bristled up upon a rock while hissing at the snow.

She tried to puff herself up to look as menacing as possible but failed epically as she just radiated chibi cuteness.

Glaring at the world outside, she hissed once more as a clump of snow fell from the top of the top outside and onto the ground directly in front of her. Arching her back with her tiny wings flaring, the little dragoness surged forward with a spat of a pathetic fireball that barely came out in a sputtering spark. Not noticing the ice that formed at the front of the rock, the hatchling slipped right off and straight into the snow with an alarmed shriek, a larger pile of snow falling down and covering her.

"Eeep!" Popping up out of the snow with eyes wide and blinking rapidly, her expression was one of horror. She... she touched the coldness of doom. She was submerged in it! With that dawning terror let out another terrified shriek. "MAMA!!!"

Jumping up she tried to make a dash for the rock and safety but her tail got under her feet making her trip and fall back into the snow and tumbling back into a tree. The hit making her grunt and squeal as she was, once again, covered in the snow. Now she was annoyed. Popping her head out of the snow, eyes dropped in irritation she glared around. What did this... stuff... think it was? A mighty foe? Her face warmed as the embarrassment nipped at her nerves, she was glad her brothers weren't here for she knew they would be mocking her for tripping over her own tail. 'Yeah, well, at least I'll live longer than them! Stupid males and their daredevil behavior!'