Chapter 14

Toothless let out a loud drawn-out yawn as he began to stand up on the rock he had been laying upon; back arching and paws pushing forward as his claws extended. He now understood why his fellow Fury liked to spend a portion of her day lounging about in the sun it was very relaxing, speaking of the spitfire of a female, he had yet to see her at all this morning so he assumed that she had gone on a morning flight - she's been doing that often ever since her winged healed. A frown marred the black scaled dragon's face as this thought crossed his mind; he wasn't fully sure how he felt with Sunflower being able to fly... to him, it meant that she was going to leave soon, her anxious actions were no better either. She was always acting antsy and staring off into the distances as her wings quivered in such a way that reminded him of the few dragons that were anxious to just take to the air and leave all of their worries behind. Toothless wondered why she didn't just leave, there was nothing keeping her here - though he kind of hoped that it was because of him she stayed, but perhaps that was a little more than wishful thinking.

The frown deepened as he stared out at the water, fish jumping out freely. Toothless still wasn't sure what he made of the female Fury; sure, he was beyond thrilled that he had another Fury in his midst - still shocked that there were a different species of his kind, but he supposed it was possible now that he thought over it - and he really didn't want to her to leave. He didn't want to going back to being lonely, going back to the thoughts of being the last of his kind, the bitter shame and anger he had felt before... the restlessness he had felt as he left the nest in each food run and subconsciously scanned his surroundings in hopes another identical roar would answer his own desperate ones. He didn't want any of it. He wished, yarned, for another Night Fury, or even a half-breed, to appear and now that he had one he wasn't going to let her go for anything. He wanted to hide her away and keep her safe, away from the danger that might get her killed; he was didn't care that she wasn't of th night, she was still of the same species and possibly the very last one out there, she needed to remain safe.

'But you can't... that's being selfish,' Toothless scowled himself. 'It's not fair to her, she might actually like being alone. Plus, I hardly doubt she'd stay hidden.'

He knew that he couldn't force her to stay and had to find his own wants and instincts whenever he thought of her leaving him. It was a time like this that he despised the other dragons who had others of their kind to be around, no fear of them leaving and being the last, it was at this time that he was upset with his new disability. He couldn't follow the Sun Flower even if he wanted to once she decided to leave. Toothless felt so torn, for many other reasons too. He didn't want to leave the human either, he had grown to care for the boy and his weird ways. He knew he couldn't have the two of them at once, so he'd have to decide and that, he supposed, as easy as it was heartbreaking... his tail fin seemed to be the thing that decided his fate.

Letting out a grumble the male turned from the water and turned his head towards the sky.

Oh, how he longed to fly freely right now... join the beautiful female as she soared free as one of those feathery snakes. At least spend some time with her before she actually did leave him forever. 'If she allowed it,' he thought bitterly. Every time he seemed to make some headway with her something always happened that made her revert to back to the vicious dragoness that had appeared that night. His eyes subconsciously went towards his paw where a scale was missing; last night he had been trying to cozy up with her, hoping that that might make her stay but that hadn't exactly ended well for him.

A flash of red streaking over the water had Toothless head snapping up in time to see the snarling face of the very dragoness he was thinking of flying straight for him. With barely any time to react, Toothless could only momentarily brace himself for impact as a large weight slammed into him and the two went flying until the hit the ground with a large thud, Toothless pinned flat on his back with Sunflower sat on his chest, one paw pinned firmly on his throat and the other raised and ready to strike if needed. Her eyes were narrowed into angry slits and lips pulled back into a snarl to show her sharp white teeth which gleamed dangerously in a snarl.