Chapter 16

Green eyes watched in unblinking terror as the large red mast of glimmering scales and blazing fireballs flew out of the cove and into the trees, a pile of smoldering ashes and sparks and liquid bits of metal beside her, the remains of what once had been Astrid's axe. Her body was once again frozen as her mind tried to make sense of what had transpired. Flashes of teeth so sharp and close and the sight of a fireball boiling at the back of a large throat ghosted her mind, bringing her already weak and shaking knees out from under her. The smell of smoke and burning metal sending a surge of alarm mixing in with her already skyrocketing agitation.

...

"SUNFLOWER!! NOOO!!!"

It all happened so fast that Asta barely had time to think as Astrid pushed herself forward with her axe raised and ready to strike, the typical idiotic Viking boldness seeping out of her, only stoking Sunflower's shrieking rage even further. Hiccup let out a loud yelp, rushing forward with Asta on his tail, reaching out to stop him, the black Night Fury, Toothless, staring in wide-eyed shock at the sudden movement of the female dragon. In a move so quick, Sunflower shot out a strange blast that looked like a flaming ball of burning liquid, the heat so hot for something so small that trio of humans faltered in their steps; what was that?

Their questions went unanswered as the fiery liquid hit the metal blade and a bit of the wooden handle, sending it up in flames within seconds and blasting it out of Astrid's hand, making the girl let out a gasp like shriek as she glanced at it. The once weapon hit the ground into a small cloud of smoke and ashes, sparks and tiny flames dancing around wildly. Turning around, Astrid let out another gasp at the sight of the red dragon now feet away, jumping at her with a loud roar. But before either one knew what was happening, Astrid was shoved rather harshly, sending her stumbling and flying to the ground, her blue eyes glancing up and widening at the sight of the redheaded girl standing where she had just been, body tense and arms spread out on either side of her like she was trying to shield Astrid.

Asta stood frozen, her actions finally hitting her. Her heartbeat suddenly picked up, beating so fast she thought it was going to pop. She felt a strange numbness, hot and cold pumping through her veins and she knew she was shaking as her eyes widened and the breath caught in her throat. She stared frozen as the heat of Sunflower's forming fireball fanned across the skin of her face, teeth now mere inches from hitting its mark. Then, it was gone, the red beast tackled to the side by the male Fury who let out a loud, angered roar to which she returned with her own angry screech and slashing of claws.

All became numb to Asta at that moment and she barely noticed the small brawl the dragons had before the red one fled up out of the cove and into the trees of the woods going in the opposite direction of Berk.

...

Oh, gods of Berk. She had nearly died.

For a moment, she hadn't realized she wasn't breathing until a hand was placed on her shoulder, shaking her from the mess that has become her mind. Blinking rapidly, she inhaled a sharp gulp air, tilting her up towards the person who situated themselves in front of her.

Hiccup.

His hazelly green eyes stared down at her with a sheen of concern and calculation causing a whirl of various emotions to flutter around her being, but Asta being the firecracker she was, quickly steeled her features with a mask infuriated annoyance which helped sharpen her attention from the internal shock that was still biting at her nerves.

"Are you okay?" Hiccup's voice cracked with uncertainty, he too looking like he was having a hard time comprehending what had happened.

"Yeah, yeah, as fine as one can be for nearly being barbequed with her head nearly being sliced off," Her voice so calm compared to the jitteriness she felt on the inside, her face pulled into one of a deadpan expression. "What do you think, Forge boy? I nearly became.... that!"