VI - When unity is not strength

Seoul, Mondo

At the sound of the bell, Jin Ah dropped her measuring glass and cheerfully walked to the entrance. This morning, she was in a particularly good mood. She felt like she was floating in the air and capable of anything. That's why she got up early just to make soft walnut squares. This cake was the peace pipe of the house. The girls liked it particularly because it had a lot of chocolate and thanks to the whipped cream, it was never too sweet or too bitter. The nuts provided a delicious crunchy taste and it could also be eaten at any time of the year: it was as good iced as it was hot.

Jin Ah and Yoo Jin loved to wake up the house with a sweet pastry smell. Later, Yoo Jin had also planned to make orange cookies and some croissants, but for the moment, she was taking a shower.

As she walked past the bathroom, Jin Ah could hear Yoo Jin's voice humming Let me Know mixed with the sound of the water jet.

The rest of the concert had been great and Jin Ah's soul was still there. She smiled stupidly as she thought of Kim Tae Hyung's inhuman beauty. By closing her eyes, she could still see his image stuck to her eyelids. And when the door opened, the owner's impatient face immediately erased her beautiful thoughts. The young woman suddenly felt the weight of reality falling heavily on her shoulders.

- Oh, hello! Greeted Jin Ah by bending a little.

- I thought you ran away. Mrs. Gong replied in an unpleasant voice.

- We wouldn't dare... whispered Jin Ah before asking her in.

They went to the living room and without being invited, Madame Gong took her place in the chair. She put her leather handbag on her lap and looked at the decor of the house with a haughty look. She found the apartment very warm, but admitting it could tear her tongue out.

- I'm going to make coffee, Jin Ah announced on her way to the kitchen. Do you want some? ...So bad that the walnut squares are not yet cooked...

The owner accepted with a forced smile and then rolled her eyes once the young woman's back was turned.

- Where are the others? Asked Madame Gong in a dry tone.

Han Jin Ah came back with a porcelain cup that she gently placed in front of the lady. Jin Ah sat down on the couch, legs crossed one above the other.

- My sister is still sleeping and Bo Hwa too, I think. The other one's in the shower. She replied in a neutral tone.

She hated the arrogant manners the owner had towards them. At these times, understanding and compassion would not be a refusal. But maybe Mrs. Gong really didn't know anything... She's going to feel really bad when she'll understand, Jin Ah thought.

- So? When do you plan to pay me? Soon?

Mrs. Gong took a sip of coffee, then a second. She thought it was very good and regretted a little bit that she had been obnoxious. Now, it was unlikely that the tenants on the seventh floor would invite her to tea. But then,  these girls had just to pay their debts as good citizens. And there, not before, a friendly relationship could be possible. She didn't like feeling like the bank's bad loan sharks, but for the moment it was still money that made her world go round.

- It's just....

- Yes?

- We don't really have the means to pay you. Said Jin Ah and towards the end of her sentence, her voice had decreased in volume.

- PARDON? The owner strangled herself. Ah, damn it! I still thought you were more reasonable. I don't know how you managed to break into this apartment, I know even less how you managed to move in, but believe me, if you don't pay me by next week, you can say hello to the street!