Brooke 27

I was about as alive as the wrinkly pickled cucumbers that floated about listlessly in Rey's mason jars in math class. My attention span for mathematics was pitifully short and I am fortunate enough to have dad's help to barely tolerate the subject but dare I say that my inability for calculations and lack of comprehension for formulas drives him up the wall sometimes.

Failing to refrain a yawn, I wondered idly should I just dropped the subject before I failed it in the final exams. Mum who spent more time digging through soil with her fingers rather than punching a calculator would have raised both her hands and feet in support at my decision ("another hopeless case" as my dad would say). But I couldn't bring myself to disappoint my maths crazed accountant dad and it would be a total waste to just flung the all-nighters we spent scribbling formulas and workings out of the window. 

Looking to my right, Rey was busy sneaking bites of pickled cucumbers dipped with mayonnaise behind her MacBook. She tried to give me a piece of her snack but I shuddered upon the sight of her weirdly concocted ghastly creation and faked a gag which she rolled her eyes at.

My logic told me that maths broke Rey. Simple as that.

"Care to explain what's going on there, Miss Emerson? " Oh, crap.

I shoot daggers at Rey who was stuffing more mayonnaise dipped pickled cumbers into her face to stifle her bubbling laughter. "Nothing happened, sir."

"I suggest you standing outside of the classroom since you found it difficult to concentrate in my class." The teacher sneered, his tone implying that his statement was nowhere near an innocent suggestion. I knew he never like me for handing in my flawless homework in time yet passing his papers with Cs and the occasional Ds. Keeping my temper in check, I ignored muffled whisperings and ducked out of the classroom without making any eye contact.

The hallway was deserted and I toyed with the idea of buying myself a steaming hot chocolate drink to cheer myself up before remembering that I had forgotten to pocket my hot chocolate money this morning before I left the house. Slightly annoyed at my forgetfulness, I made myself comfortable on the freezing floor, hugging my knees to preserve my body warmth while waiting for maths class to end.

I wish Levi was here to help pocket the money for me. We could have shared the drink and giggled over our white mustaches like a pair of idiots. 

I wondered if she missed me. I knew I missed her. A lot. 

Did Teddy finish eating my cookies already? I wondered if Levi had somehow managed to sneak one past his watchful gaze. 

I need cuddles. I wanna cuddle Levi. I want her to cuddle me too.

But she kissed Rosie Lynn. 

"What are you doing here, Brooke?" A mystified voice sounded somewhere above my head.

"Oh...it's you," I jumped before blinking at Raven who towered over me with his lean yet muscular built. There was a sinking feeling in my chest, and I wasn't happy that I am feeling it.