Levi 18

A crumbled paper ball lands on my table with a soft thud.

I look up from my essay and meet the Egyptian girl's frowning face. Her face looks vaguely familiar. But I can't really recall her name. Something like Ray?

"Can you please stop tapping your feet? It's getting on my nerves," she tsks with her voice low as to not disturb the class, a hint of annoyance flashing in her icy blue eyes.

"Sorry," I apologize, embarrassed to be caught. Justin snickers beside me. "I'll try," I smile apologetically while nudging my elbow sharp into Justin's ribs.

She turns her head back with a satisfied smile, seemingly happy with my answer and get back to work. I unfold the crumbled paper ball gingerly, smoothing out the creases until lines of bold letters come into my view:

Soz for being rude. 

Didn't mean to interrupt. 

But yr tapping distracted Brooke from concentrating.

Okay. Now I feel really guilty for my unconscious habit. I can only imagine Brooke, being the sweet angel she is, too shy to say anything to me at all albeit being disturbed. 

I retrieve another piece of paper from my bag and write a message on it, shielding its content with my elbow from Justin's prying eyes. Once finished, I throw it at Brooke.

It hits the back of her head and she jumps, startled like a rabbit caught in headlights. Her slightly wavy hair bounce about her shoulders as she turns her head around, bewildered. I dip my head down, biting my lips to stifle a smile. Utterly confused, she bent down to fetch my paper ball and resumed back to work. 

Justin gives me a knowing sideways glance, a smirk already tugging at his lips. I hit his arm playfully before grinning back, knowing I have some explanation to do later. 

*******************************************************************

"So..." 

Justin seems to be a little nervous. He has been rubbing the nape of his neck for the last five minutes after we walk out of the class together. I look hard at him for a few moments. 

A sudden realization dawns on me. 

"Did you eat up my share of Maria's cookies?" I gasp with disbelief. 

He opens and closes his mouth like a suffocated goldfish, his words seemingly to dissipate into the air. "I swear, Justin; you'll never getting out of-" I growl deeply with a dark look on my face, indignant that he had wolfed down all of my favorite oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. 

"Wait wait wait! Hell, I haven't even touched them!" He protests with his arms waving about dramatically in hopes of proving his innocence. "Mum insisted on you coming over to my place to join her for tea. She made me promise that I can devour her cookies only if you're joining us later," he grumbles with a pout.