Chapter 4. "The Kings and Queens of Old."

Hey guys!

New edition of chapter 4 is now up! Hope you like it!

Disclaimer: Guys, this is a fanfic. Everything other than Beth's story line does not belong to me.

As always, please review! Really appreciate it!

Chapter 4. "The Kings and Queens of Old."

"Where do we go when it's all over?" - Raign, 'When It's All Over.'

As they made their way to the Glasswater river, Trumpkin, who turned out to be the dwarf's name, had updated the young monarchs on their country's situation.

By the time they'd finally reached it, the four siblings were completely silent as they processed everything.

The narnian had told them everything, from the Telmarine invasion centuries ago, to the Narnians slow but sure eventual extinction. The Narnians that survived the first attack were forced to retreat into the woods in hiding and now, they were nothing more than myths.

It was actually better for the Narnians as, since their enemy feared the woods, they now lived in relative peace, but it also meant that they were perpetually stuck to the forest for fear of being chased down. The freedom they used to have was nothing but a distant memory.

After much discussion, they had agreed to go back to Trumpkin's house, where the telmarine boy who had blown the horn had appeared a few nights before. From the guards gossip, Trumpkin had learned the telmarine who had fell from his horse right by his house was actually Caspian, heir to the Telmarine throne.

Trumpkin was adamant in that the boy would only bring them trouble but Susan was particularly insistent on finding him. She knew her horn only fell in worthy hands so, deep down, she knew they were meant to ally with Caspian.

Hopefully, Caspian would agree with them.

Also, though she didn't mention it, she was starting to realize their reign was officially over. They would always be kings and queens, of course, but it was time for someone else to rule, and Narnia would never be safe unless a Son of Adam was crowned king.

Edmund had been silent for a long time. He hang onto every word that came out of Trumpkin's lips and, as the situation seemed to darken with every update of the dwarf, so did his soul.

Sure, they didn't ask to leave the first time, but still, they had been crowned Kings and Queens. They had been granted with the duty and honour of protecting their people and once they left, not for once second did they imagine Narnia was in actual danger. It wouldn't have changed anything if they had foreseen it, of course, but Edmund had always deemed himself as cunning, so to have never seen this coming was a personal failure for him.

So, to sum up, he was drowning in guilt.

Meanwhile, the younger queen had other concerns in mind. Lucy glanced around, her eyes filled with longing and grief as she took notice of how different was the forest around her.

Back during their reign, her siblings and herself loved to take rides through the forest. They particularly loved how alive it was. Feasts, music, bonfires and laughter were usual. There was always some party where the fauns danced around playing their flutes, while the dryads danced gracefully and the dwarves played leather drums.

Lucy looked up suddenly as she realized something horrible.

The dryads.

"They are so quiet," Lucy broke the long silence, her eyes still on the forest to their right.