Chapter 12: Who Even am I?

I couldn't decide who to chase down the next day in school.
     Linh and Marella had gotten along with me quickly. We were all kind of dorky. But Biana and Maruca were surprisingly a lot like me.
     Who even was I? The popular kid, or the normal kid who just so happened to hang out with the popular kids? Or just simply, the girl who was dating Keefe?
     In the end, Biana and Maruca made the choice for me, rushing up to meet me and interrupting my internal conflict. "Oh my gosh," Biana said, starting this conversation the way she normally started conversations. "Sophie, tell me you kissed Keefe last night. Tell me!"
     "Yeah," I said, pretending to be shy. Maruca and Biana squealed.
     "Maruca actually found a boy to talk to yesterday," Biana confided. "A totally nerdy boy, but still, Maruca didn't have anyone else to dance with."
     "Who?"
     "Jensi," Maruca said, blushing and laughing hysterically. "Don't worry, I don't like him one bit. I just needed a dancing partner. Biana was dancing with Tam, after all."
     "Here's the thing, though," Biana said. "Tam's clearly into Marella. I bet the only reason he took me was because he was already going with Marella as a not-date, so it would be kind of hard to ask her then, you know? Because if she said no... they're still stuck going together. And Tam's kind of, I don't know, too emo for me. You guys will laugh in my face for this, but I kind of like Dex."
     Maruca gasped. "Biana, he likes Linh!"
     "And it's not bad taste," I said. "He's kind of cute."
     "Easy for you to say. You're settled with Keefe Sencen."
     "Hey, since you guys already broke up once, maybe you shouldn't go after him."
     "How did you find out about that? Never mind, I'm done with him anyhow. My best friend is dating him, ya know?"
     Okay, once I'm Biana's "best friend," it's clear my identity has changed. A lot.
     I couldn't really decide if I liked it.
     On the one hand, I was popular - and for an extrovert like me, it's fun to be well-known. I fit in well with Biana and Maruca, and we could squeal about boys and go dress shopping. I could show the girly-er side of myself.
     On the other hand, I wasn't as close with Linh and Marella. I was less normal. I didn't have as much room to show the other side of myself, which was... well, normal. Not a pretty, famous girl.
     "So you guys are, like, officially dating now?" Maruca clarified. "Not, like, 'sorta dating' anymore?"
     "Yeah, it's official."
     "Oh my gosh, and I thought I'd be the first of us to have a boyfriend!" Biana squealed. "Then again, I've had boyfriends before."
     "How many?"
     "Three. First, I had this guy named Andrew, and he was super cool - but we were young, and then he decided he really liked a girl he was starring in this movie with. That's the thing about dating movie stars. But anyway, I moved on pretty quickly, which was when I dated Keefe - and hey, you know that story. After that was a boy named George. After a week I decided he wasn't really my type. Now I'm single."
     "Gosh, Biana, you're picky," I said.
     "Eh, so am I," Maruca admitted. "When me and Biana were in Take Back Lucy together, she was Lucy, and the boy she cheated on dumped Lucy for my character, Fiona. But when the boy actually asked me to be his real-life girlfriend, I said no. Not my type, you know?"
     "Exactly," Biana said. "Wait - Eddie asked you out? Oh my gosh. How could you say no?"
     "Not my type."
     "You passed up a supercool chance, Maruca," she said.
     "What was that movie about?"
     "James Jameson was dating Lucy Makenna, the popular girl."
     "My character," Biana interrupted.
     "Yeah, like Biana, but more classic, snotty girl. Anyway, she cheats on him and he breaks up with her and decides to date Fiona. But Lucy goes through this whole dumb character change, and her new boyfriend doesn't and she decides he's too, you know. Snotty. And so she breaks up with him and begs James to take her back, and she gets in a big fight with Fiona, and James doesn't know what to do. In the end they're a happy teenage couple."
     "Sounds like a stupid movie," I remarked.
     "Exactly! Stupid movies are the best!" Biana squealed. "Oh my gosh, class is in a few minutes. We've got to get to History!"
     "Oh. I think that's a class me and Keefe actually attend on a regular basis," I recalled.
     "Where do you usually go? Do you just ditch school?"
     "No, we just spend every other class in the student lounge. Some days we skip all the good classes and have to attend all the bad ones. Sometimes the other way around. Sometimes it's a mix."
     "But History you go to, no matter what?" Maruca clarified.
     "Yep."
     "Why?"
     "It's where we found each other."
     "Romantic!" They squealed. I rolled my eyes and laughed, making my way to History class.

So, I know. Kind of a short chapter, and not a lot of Sokeefe. But hey, I wanted to take a chapter for her internal conflict. This story has to have some meaning. Sokeefe also seems a little too perfect and happy right now. Maybe I should change that, give this story some plot...