Chapter 5: A F r i e n d Comes Over

"Can I bring I friend over?" I asked Grady, my adoptive father. (The prank at lunch had been awesome, although I had felt kind of sorry for Dex.)

"What friend?" Edaline asked, at the same time as Grady asked, "Is it a boy?"

"Um, it's just this boy I met at school," I said, vaguely answering both questions.

"What's his name?" Edaline pressed.

I paused. "He acted like it should mean something, but I don't know what, and I don't want to find out until he's ready for me to find out."

Grady nodded. "Makes sense - but he needs to be here by five and be out by seven. Is that clear?" Edaline elbowed him.

"What your father means to say is, you guys can stay up as long as you want," she emphasized, glaring at Grady.

Grady huffed. "Yeah, whatever - but no, like, kissing or anything.

"Grady!" Edaline said, elbowing him again. "Sounds like she just met him yesterday."

"Exactly," I said. "I text him yes." Grady and Edaline said yes!!! Come whenever you're ready.

Keefe responded quickly. How about now. OMW.

I assumed that meant On My Way.

In five minutes, he was at the door, smirking that natural Keefe smirk that I liked for some reason. The car in the background was an expensive car - sheesh. And the lady in it looked bored, and also very rich.

Naturally. He attends my school.

I let him in and he took my hand as I led him up to my room. I passed by Grady and Edaline's room. Grady poked his head out. "Just so you know, Edaline made - " His jaw dropped.

Keefe didn't lose his cool. He just smoothed his hair and flashed his trademark smirk. "Hey, Mr. Ruewen. Nice to meet you, too."

"I'm sorry," Grady apologized. "Sophie didn't tell me who was coming over. Edaline made cookies, if you want them."

"She also didn't tell you that her name is Foster now," Keefe corrected.

"Just to him," I assured Grady.

"Aww, where's the fun in that?" But Keefe was still smiling as Grady closed the door. "So, wow. You really do live at Havenfield."

"Huh?"

"You know that's what everyone calls your home, right? Because they - or should I say, you - own so much land, and you also have a really tall house. Havenfield. People call my house Candleshade because it's so tall. The Vacker house is Everglen because it is very shiny, and there are many glass things in it. There are actually a lot of people at our school who's houses get named by the community."

Yeah. Since my adoptive parents were so... rich, it  made sense people had a title for their house.

"Sorry. This whole rich-and-famous thing is kind of new to me. I was only adopted a year ago."

Keefe's eyes softened as he sat down on my bed. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Though I was sad to leave the Fosters, I love being a Ruewen."

"That's where you're wrong. You are definitely a Foster. I  don't care about your parents' family name - you will always be Foster to me." He spoke as if we'd be ditching and pranking partners forever - two things I never would have done if Keefe hadn't stepped in and changed things.

Keefe really had changed my life - for example, now I knew that if I just glanced at the board at the beginning of class, I could use my photographic memory to pass class instead of sitting through a long, boring class. Keefe was much cooler than that.

"So..." I drew out the word. "Why did Grady look at you like that?"

"Like I said. I'm famous. I do attend your school, you know."

"Yeah, but Grady's famous too. Why did he lose his cool like that?"

"Really famous?" He shrugged. I have him a look, and he sighed. "Fine. Tell your parents they can tell you who I am after I leave. Just... please don't decide that I'm not a real friend or anything. All your friends will say I'm playing you, Harley in particular, but I really hate what people decide I am because of my reputation... and, you know, the fact that I am a bit of a goofball." He smirked. "So, please continue to be my ditching and pranking partner - please?"

"Of course. I could never say no!" Keefe looked a little relieved, and ran his hand through his hair. "So, who's taking you to the dance?"

"The one in two weeks? I thought maybe I'd go with a group of friends, but now that I think about it, Linh is going with Dex and Marella is going with Tam, so... I might not go," I admitted.

Keefe's eyes widened to the size of basketballs. "Are you serious?! You are so going to the dance.  I can talk someone into asking you, if you want. I'm manipulative like that."

"Sounds great." Would you take me? "Who are you taking?" Not that I care. At all.

"No one right now, although I'm sure Biana would be thrilled." Keefe rolled his eyes. "She is totally smitten, which is kind of dumb. She should go for someone else, like Tam - although, if your friend Mariel is going with him -"

"Marella," I interrupted. "And they're not going as a date or anything. Marella's parents just said they didn't want to drive her, so Tam's doing it."

"Yeah, yeah, whoever she is, it seems she may have lost her change. Tam's cool."

"He's Linh's sister."

"SERIOUSLY?!"

"Twins."

"WHAT?! HOW DID I NOT KNOW HE HAD A TWIN?!" Keefe was a mix between super annoyed and in the middle of a fit of hysterical laughter. "That is the greatest! Tam. Song. Has. A. Twin!" He laughed. "Makes sense - the last name song! How did I miss that!"

I laughed along with him. Then he stopped and looked at me. "So who should I tell to take you? Fitz is taken, by the way - he's taking Harley, that little traitor-of-a-best-friend. Seriously! Harley is off-limits after what she did?" He cracked up and I followed suit. "So, who?"

You? "I don't know very many boys."

"Well... that makes this hard." Keefe stopped to think. "I mean, I'm not taking anybody. Do you want to go with me?"

Uh, YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Not that I cared.

"Of course!" I said, trying to sound casual - but I may have let a little excitement slip into my voice.

Keefe grinned. "Great! Also, just so you know?"

"Yeah?"

"I was setting that up the whole time."

"KEEFE!"