Chapter 10: Semi-Formal Preparations

"Sophie! I think I found one!"
     "If it's low cut, forget it," I said, making my way over to where she was standing.
     "Don't worry," Biana assured me. "Despite what you might think, with me being a model and all, I'm pretty modest. And I have made that very clear to anyone who thinks they own me."
     So she's a spicy model. "Sweet. This is pretty."
     "I know, right? I love the lace in the back. And the color looks really good in contrast with your skin tone!" She held a light red dress up to me. "We should add this to our list."
     As we walked further on, a lady who was shopping stopped and looked at Biana. Biana smirked and dragged me away. "You just have to not pay attention to them, and they get out of your way."
     Famous people. Then again, I was technically part of a famous family, too. People just didn't recognize me as well as they did Biana.
     Then Biana passed someone she actually knew. "Oh my gosh. Maruca?" The girl had brown skin and pretty black dreadlocks tied into a loose bun.
     "Biana? Oh my gosh, I've not seen you since we starred in Take Back Lucy!" Of course that's how they knew each other. They hugged, and then Maruca asked, "Who's this?"
     "This is Sophie, the Ruewen's kid," she introduced, noticeably not making a big deal of the adopted part.
     "The Ruewens have a daughter? Oh my gosh, does she go to your school?"
     "Yes! And she's dating Keefe Sencen, too, so I need to find her a dress for the semi-formal."
     "Oh my gosh. Keefe Sencen? You're dating Keefe?"
     "Sort of," I said.
     "Sophie, you can't be sort of dating Keefe Sencen. Either you are, or you aren't."
     "It's complicated."
     "However complicated it is," Biana interrupted, "she's his date to the dance, so she's gotta have a really pretty dress."
     Maruca got right down to business. "Okay. So. You're blonde, so you'll probably look good in red."
     "Yeah," Biana said. "I found this dress. Do you like it?"
     "Oh my gosh, it's near perfect! We should probably find a green option too, as well as a white one. The white one should be sparkly."
     "Right," Biana agreed. "And the green one should be tight. We should get something blue, too, but not dark blue. That wouldn't look good on her."
     "Agreed." As they talked, I concluded I was definitely shopping with the experts.

     In the end, I ended up with a red dress that frilled slightly from the waist to her knees. The top part was lacy over a solid red background. Biana and Maruca agreed it was perfect.
     They also ended up getting me a lot of new makeup. I decided not to protest. They probably knew what they were talking about.
     "Maruca, you should totally come over to my place after this," Biana said. Wow. Do rich kids just do whatever they want? Then again, I was pretty free, too. "You can, right?"
     "Yeah. We're staying up here with the Endals, and Cyrah's really nice so I'm sure she'd let me."
     "She's out of the hospital?"
     "Yeah. I can shut down all the rumors of spaceships and light travel; it was a car crash."
     "I kept telling everyone that just because Cyrah Endal's in the hospital doesn't mean there's been a scientific breakthrough. She's, you know, human."
     "Exactly." Biana walked up to the cash register. "We'd like to buy this." She shoved all the stuff onto the counter, but she did it gracefully, and she put her hand on her hip. Biana had this way of being super classy all the time. 
     "Oh. Hi!" The lady seemed stricken by the fact two - I'm sorry, three - famous people were standing there.
     "We want to buy it," Maruca said again.
     "Oh, right. Sorry." The lady began to check the things out. "Have a nice day."

     "It's so annoying how everyone looks at me like that," Biana complained as they walked back to her car, which was being driven by none other than Della Vacker herself. Even as they climbed into the car, everyone was watching them.
     "I see we've picked up another," Mrs. Vacker said. "Oh, it can't be. Maruca?"
     "Yep," Maruca nodded. "Staying with the Endals for a few months. I'll be attending his school."
     "Whoa! Just like us!" Biana laughed and tossed her hair. "Guys, this is going to be so much fun."
     My life changed a lot when I moved and was adopted by the Ruewens. The first thing I learned? They were really famous. The second thing? I would be attending a rich kids' school. The third thing?
     My life was a lot more complicated.
     Now I had to balance everything. I was not only friends with two normal kids - well, as normal as you find at my school - but also friends with the popular girls. It was kind of scary how well I fit in with Biana and Maruca, like I'd known them forever. Suddenly, I was sorta-dating a super famous boy from television, and I was known by half the school.
     I seemed to fit in better with Keefe, Fitz, Biana, and Maruca better than with Linh and Marella. I mean, they had their share of rich girl personality... but I seriously felt like one of the popular crowd.
     "The dance is tonight," Biana was saying. "I know you won't be starting at the school for a little bit, but you should totally come. I'm sure a boy will totally jump on you."
     "Multiple, and I'll have to reject some of them." They laughed, and I joined them. "But totally, I'm coming. How could I miss it?"
     "Who's taking you?" I asked Biana. I couldn't believe that came out of my mouth. My personality was definitely changing from hanging around her. I couldn't decide if I liked it.
     "Okay," Biana said, lowing her voice. "You guys will never believe who I said yes to."
     "Who?" Maruca asked.
     "Tam. Tam Song!" By the way guys, I ship Deana so don't get too excited.
     "Oh. My. Gosh," I said. "Does Linh know?"
     "I have no idea," Biana said. "But I hope not. I want to surprise her. I don't even really know her that well. The first time I actually talked to her was when we played Truth or Dare at Candleshade!"
     "Whoa. You guys played Truth or Dare at the Sencen's? Lucky!"
     "Sophie, you should text Keefe and tell him where to pick you up," Biana told me. "Now we've got to get dressed up!"

Pick me up at Everglen 2night  -S

Sweet ;) Cya l8r Foster. Got a surprise 4 ya -K

     I didn't recognize myself.
     My golden eyeliner looked really good with my eyes, and the dress looked even better on me after we worked on it for a while. My black, shiny flats looked almost new (they were Biana's, so that's to be expected), which I only got to wear after a lot of arguing. (Biana wanted me to wear her heels. I only got her to let me wear flats because it would make it easier to dance with Keefe, and you had to put on a good front when dancing with a famous person. I know what Biana values.)
     Biana looked gorgeous in her purple dress, and Maruca was stunning in the dark blue one she was wearing. "Oh my gosh, you guys look amazing!"
     "Psh, you look the best out of all of us," Maruca said. "And I'm saying that with Biana Vacker in the room!"
     "Yeah. Keefe's going to faint. You are so lucky. Everyone in the school, including me, has a crush on either Fitz or Keefe. And I can't exactly crush on my brother, can I?"
     "Eww," the three of us chorused. The doorbell rang, and we all rushed down to see who it was.
     We all gasped. "Told you I had a surprise, Foster," Keefe said, flashing his trademark smirk that I had grown to love.
     Well, there was a limo. To be expected.
     And Tam and Keefe were both there.
     I threw my arms around Keefe. He was officially the best human being ever.
     "You're the best, Keefe," I said when I let go.
     "Aw, you're so sweet. But I can't possibly be better than the Great Mysterious Miss Foster, can I?"
     "You can be 200 times better."
     Keefe laughed. "You're the best, Foster. You look gorgeous."
     "Like anyone can look better than you." He was sort of wearing a suit, but it was kind of casual, because that's just Keefe's style. And he was totally rocking it.
     "Come on," he said, taking my hand. And I knew it was going to be the best night ever.