Chapter 2: Don't Talk to Him

"Don't talk to him," Linh declared as we left class.

"Why?"

"He's... every girl likes him, and he leads every girl on."

"Didn't seem to be leading you on."

"He's taken a peculiar fascination with you," Linh admitted. "Probably because he sees you as a future detention buddy."

"I take it he gets detention a lot?"

"Yep! And so will you if you hang around him!"

At my old school, I mostly got detention because teachers blame everything on the famous girl. But here I'm not famous. Here, there are people who aren't just adopted by rich people - Fitz had apparently been in movies, and Biana was a model. And whoever that other mystery movie boy was...

Here, I think I might just get detention to impress Keefe."

"I know what your thinking," Linh scolded. "And don't even think about it. Actually, it's too late for that - just don't do it."

"So I'll keep thinking it."

"Soph!" Linh shoved me and kept walking. A girl tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around.

Biana. Vacker. "Hi."

"Hi. So, I was wondering," she whispered, "how you got Keefe's attention."

Naturally. The model likes the star. "Um, I told him I got detention a lot."

"What else?" Biana said hesitantly.

"Just that."

"Dang, I'm too much of a goody-two-shoes for that. Well, see you later!"

Wait, why see me later?

I hurried through the halls to catch up with her. I tapped her on the shoulder. "When will you see me later?"

"Um, I don't know. It's just what I say to everyone." Biana shrugged and kept walking.

Behind me, Stina howled, "SOPHIE FOSTER JUST INSULTED BIANA VACKER!"

No I didn't.

That's how I landed my first darn rich kids' school detention - a lying popular girl.

***

Don't talk to him.

Don't talk to him.

Don't talk to him.

Keefe was, of course, there as well. He smirked when he saw me and waved me over. Yes! He said, "Should have known you'd land detention on your first day, Foster, given all those stories. What happened?"

"I tapped Biana on the shoulder and Stina told the teachers I insulted her."

"Ugh," Keefe harrumphed. "I mean, it's great that you got detention, but I was hoping you'd cause some real trouble. Need ideas?"

"Nope."

"Then what's your next great idea?"

"This." I puled Styrofoam out of my pocket and sprinkled it in his hair. Real small sprinkles too. Keefe shrieked.

"Do not mess with the hair!"

"Ahem." The teacher stared at me. "There will be know messing with Keefe today. Is that understood."

"Whoa, lady, she was joking. It was awesome," Keefe defended me. I had clearly gotten on his good side by daring to do that.

But... who gets away with calling a teacher "lady"?

"Okay, that's another week of detention for both of you." She passed around some pieces of paper. "Now, today's detention assignment..."

***

Linh caught up with me the next day, with Marella, who looked very mad. "I hear Stina was a total idiot to Sophie today."

"Yeah, but I got detention with Keefe," I blurted. I quickly hastened to clean up my new mess. "I mean, not that I like him, it's just like, we're friends now and -"

Marella's eyes widened to the size of Jupiter. "You're friends with Keefe S -"

Linh covered Marella's mouth before she could say his last name. "Sophie does not need to know his last name."

"Seriously, what is your guys' problem?"

"Nothing," they said in unison.

"Although," Linh added, "since you seem to be trying for a more realistic crush than Fitz, check out that guy." Linh nodded towards a boy at his locker with strawberry blonde hair and cute periwinkle eyes. "Seriously. Adorable. And there's this kid two grades ahead of us -" Linh nodded at another boy - "who is also super sweet, but also two grades out of reach, you know? The first guy's name is Dex. He is amazing. And the other guy is Wylie. I just think he's cute, but know nothing else about him, really."

Dex was cute, but not nearly as cute as Keefe or Fitz. Still, he was definitely more in-reach - every girl liked Fitz and Keefe.

And who was that other famous boy?!

"Just... promise me you won't talk to Keefe," Linh pleaded.

Keefe ran up behind them. "Why? Ooh, the girls are talking about me! What about? Wait, lemme guess, lemme guess... The Hair?" He smoothed his hair down, and I grinned. He looked satisfied that I had smiled. "So, Sophie, since I'm sure you want to cause more trouble," he teased, "could I have your phone number? You know, because it will give us a), time to talk about out awesome pranks, b), entertainment for when we're bored - I always respond to a text, Foster - and c), it will make your friends here -" -he lowered his voice - "-totally jealous." He straightened.

And I gave him my phone number.

Don't talk to him, don't talk to him, don't talk to him.

Don't text him, don't text him, don't text him.

The first thing I did when I got home was send him a text.