Chapter 1: Rich Kids' School

I just moved here. I'm new, and I know absolutely nothing about this school, or the people, or basically anything. One person stands out to me, though.

That boy standing right there with that girl who looks exactly like him.

Seriously, he looks like he is totally famous. Like, who can pull off having teal eyes without being tackled by Hollywood?

Linh leans over and whispers, "Who you staring at?"

"What?" I just met Linh today. She's sweet and loves to welcome the new kids, like me. And she has this brother... he's kind of overprotective of her.

"You're staring at the Vackers, aren't you?" When I didn't answer, she said, "Aha! You are! You're staring at Fitz and Biana!"

"Linh..."

"I knew you would fall for a boy - I even made a bet with Tam on which famous boy you'd fall for first." So he was famous. "The Vackers - their whole family's famous. The other boy is -"

"Don't tell her!" Tam whispered. "If you keep quiet, I can still win the bet!"

"Yeah. Sure." Linh rolled her eyes. "Everyone finds Fitz irresistible. There is no way she'll fall for the other kid. He had a girlfriend, and then he cheated on her and both girls dumped him. So now he's single, but also a cheater."

"I don't want I cheater," I proclaimed adamantly. "I am not falling for a cheater."

Tam snorted. "Good luck." He waved goodbye as Marella walked over to meet us.

"Sophie! Linh!" Marella's eyes widened. "Dude! You were just staring at Fitz - yes I caught that. I don't blame you. We all like him. He and Biana are Alden Vacker's kids!"

I gasped. "No way!"

"What? Is he your celebrity crush?" Linh teased.

"Nope. My celebrity crush is twenty-three. Alden is, like, forty."

"Dude! Who is it?" Marella demanded.

"Tom Holland," I said with a wink, adjusting my backpack and skipping towards my first class. I swear I heard her mutter, "Cliche."

It is cliche - but he's freaking cute.

***

"You're new around here," Stina proclaimed, stopping her in the hallway. "What kind of blonde but brown-eyed girl gets accepted into a private school? There's no way your parents actually have that much money!"

"Actually, I'm adopted by Grady and Edaline Ruewen," I shot back. Stina's eyes widened.

"Liar," she growled, but she let me through. That's the thing about being related to rich people - everyone lets you do everything.

Then again, it has its drawbacks.

Like being sent to rich kids' school. Seriously, why couldn't I just attend a normal high school?

I sat down in my chair, messing with some tape that was stuck to the desk. Linh sat next to me. "Might not want to mess with that tape. Bad things could happen. It's supposed to be unlucky."

"I'm already unlucky. I blew up a science lab at my old school," I informed her.

Linh burst out laughing. A boy in the row in front of us, sitting next to the most adorable boy on the planet (Fitz), turned around casually. "What's so funny?"

Linh's eyes widened in surprise. "I... um... you tell him!" Linh said, nudging me.

Why was Linh so nervous?

"Oh, I just blew up the science lab at my old school. I kinda got kicked out," I said casually. Linh looked at me jealously. Seriously, what was her big deal?

The boy's eyes got bigger. Then he cracked up. "I already liked you," he declared, moving his things to the other desk next to me. "Sorry, Fitz. I gotta get to know this girl."

Linh's eyes got bigger and bigger and bigger. "Uh..." she stammered.

What's her problem?

"Keefe Se -" Keefe paused. "I'm Keefe," he corrected easily, running a hand through his hair and holding the other one out to shake.

"Sophie Foster," I said, shaking his hand. He was pretty smooth and confident - I could see why Linh got so tongue-tied around him. He really was good looking. "What was your last name again?"

"It's not important," Keefe said, waving off the subject and leaning back in his chair. "Since Mr. Audreys won't be showing up for a while - he's always late - why don't you share some more Foster-incidents."

"My name is Sophie."

"Booooring. Your name is Foster now." 

"Okay..." I smiled a little. A cute boy was talking to me - a rich cute boy, at that. He attended this school, after all.

He could even possibly be famous, like the Vackers - but Tam had said there was only one other famous boy at the school.

"So," I said, listing on my fingers, "a kitten once followed me into the school and I got detention even though I didn't do anything-" - Keefe cracked up - "-there was the time when we were playing Pictionary in history class and we had to pick something from Civil War times, and I drew Aladdin and she didn't even compliment my drawing because it had nothing do do with the Civil War, but see I have photographic memory and there was this boat called the Sultana which sounds like sultan and -" - Keefe started laughing even harder - "-there was the time I blew up the science lab, the time that my teacher pointed a ruler at me and said at the end of it was an idiot and I asked which end -" - Keefe interrupted with "Doesn't you teacher know memes?" - "-and there was the time when I tripped and fell and for some reason that landed me in detention."

Keefe facepalmed. "My gosh. People just love giving you detention, don't they?"

"You're one to talk," Fitz interrupted as the teacher entered the classroom. Linh just stared in shock at me getting along to well with Keefe.

What. Was. Her. Problem?