t w e n t y s i x

I tap ferociously on my phone, refusing to look up as I make my way into the school's premises. Finally, I hit send on my last message, alerting Sungjin of my location, and look up.

The unfamiliar faces of students pass me in confusion... prob thinking "what is this random girl doing standing right in front of the entrance?" My thought are cut short and I almost plummet to the ground from the familiar weight of my best friend push up against my back. With a huff, I manage to turn around and give the needy boy a small hug. "Are they out?" I desperately croak, he only nods and I knew that he had seen the results.

Sungjin grips my hand tightly and leads me through the school's front doors, down the hallway and to the outdoor commons room. I notice a bulletin board hoarded with other students and it doesn't take me half a second longer to run straight up to it and cram my way to the front.

The sports team admissions and final role decisions were out.

I scan the list for varsity girls tennis, starting from the bottom... but I don't see my name... I get higher and higher up the list and... still nothing...

varsity girls tennis - singles one : kim mirae

"Holy shit."

"That's good right?" Sungjin calls lightheartedly from behind. I turn immediately and bolt into his comforting embrace, "Not just good it means that Hoseok thought I was one of the best players!!"

"That's amazing Mirae— but are you sure it wasn't because you gave Hoseok the best he—"

I cut the boy off, "Jin, I did not give my damn tennis coach head where the hell would you get it into your mind that I'd do something like that?!"

"Joking firecracker!" He retaliates with a soft chuckle, wringing his arm around my shoulders and leading us back out the way we came in, "I'm just joking..!"

My mini suitcase grumbles around the pavement as we get back outside and find ourselves greeted with the rest of our junior class and school busses lining the road.

"Hey! Lee! Mirae! Get your butts over here the whole school was waiting on you!" Mr. Park jogs over to us and takes my suitcase and Sungjin's duffel bag from our arms, "Take a seat on the bus, I'll get things sorted so that we can leave."

Not a moment later, we're ushered onto the bus with the rest of our class. Jimin enters soon after and sets himself down on the seat next to mine and Sungjin's. We were near the front because Jin gets motion sickness and Jimin had to speak to the driver often to give directions.

I don't really know what I was expecting... small talk? Socialization among the bus..?

Jimin said a few words to me towards to beginning of the ride but around half an hour into the drive, he sat there alone with his computer on his lap and his headphones in, only diverting his attention once to announce that we'd be entering a conscience store to pick up a few snacks mid ride.

For the first hour of the ride, everyone talked with everyone... sharing snacks and playing heads up but everything changed when one student pulled out several decks of hands and everyone split into small groups to play.

For the remaining several hours of the ride, everyone played cards in silence with their friends (everyone but us two in the front because Sungjin decided that he wanted to talk a nap on me.)