Chapter Forty-Five

Suddenly a cold breeze blew into the cave and a moving shadow, formed into a human man, middle-aged but still handsome, dressed elegantly, with dark hair and dark eyes, they all jumped back in astonishment.
"Actually I'm the rightful owner I believe and I thank you for taking out this particular thorn in my side, it was getting to the point that I would have to come to do it myself! The local populace is too afraid to do it themselves" the man said, his voice, calm, cold and well educated. Branthala said, "Lord Strahd I presume?"
The man said "I am Count Strahd Von Zarovich, Lord of Barovia" he said, " and once again I thank you for taking out this particular thorn in my side, you will be rewarded as agreed I shall see to that, my people are loyal to me".
"Wow!" Kendri said " a Darklord in Person!"
"Kendri," said Branthala, Branthala offered out a hand "Branthala Argent, Leader of the Silver Swallows Adventuring Company and this is my company."
Strahd paused for a second, taking in Branthala, tall, rangy and clearly a soldier that he'd himself been once, a strong woman, one well used to campaigning and command and offered out a hand "Count Strahd Von Zarovich, Lord of Barovia".
Branthala nodded and shook hands and then stood back recognising him for what he was and gave him the respect he deserved.
"Wow!" Kendri said.
Strahd looked at the body and nodded " you have done me a service Outlander this particular Band of Brigands have been a thorn in my side for quite some time, I will double what you were offered for doing so in gratitude".
"You don't have to do that Lord Strahd," said Branthala.
"I insist," he said, he picked the sacks up and nodded.
Varharland than said, " we are pleased to meet you Lord Strahd".

The reaction Strahd made when he caught sight of the Silver Dragon was indescribable, wonder, fear, awe and every other emotion all rolled into one, when he caught sight of a creature out of legend!
Strahd was so stunned he almost dropped the money sacks, obviously caught off guard and unexpectedly as he caught sight of the Silver Dragon!
"By the Powers that Be!" he gasped " what are you!" and walked around Varharland "such beauty! Such Power! Such Grace!" he was heard murmuring.
"What? You never saw a Silver Dragon before?" Branthala asked astounded, surprised that the powerful Darklord of Barovia had never seen a Silver Dragon!
"The legends they don't do you justice!" Strahd said.
"No Branthala I don't believe he has ever seen a Dragon before of any colour!" Varharland said " to him we are probably only legends, fairy tales you tell children," Varharland said to Strahd "I am a Silver Dragon".
Strahd said " the legends...they don't do your kind Justice, Lord Dragon. Long have I even wondered if you even existed!" he stopped in front of him " you are...Magnificent!"
"You mean you have never seen a Dragon!" Kendri said then, Strahd looked at her, confused.
"Forgive me..." he said.
"She's a Kender," said Branthala " kind of like a Halfling".
"No he probably hasn't, not in Barovia," said Varharland.
"Truly a legend!" said Strahd " we must  talk you and me!"
Varharland nodded and dipped his head in acknowledgement " very well, Lord Strahd."
Lord Strahd nodded "you are invited to my castle to talk, Lord of the Air".
Varharland nodded "I accept, I can Shapechange as well so I will fit into the castle!"
Lord Strahd nodded "I have heard of such things".

He picked up the coins and then nodded " whatever miserable baubles this rabble has is yours for the taking, I have only taken what is owed me".

Then without another word, he pulled the shadows around him again and vanished, they thickened than vanished.
Chromaxis spoke then "We had him off Guard Branthala! Why didn't we strike?"
"Pardon?" Branthala asked.
"That Vampire! Why didn't we strike him when we had the chance! We had him totally off guard! When he saw Varharland! It would have been the perfect opportunity to free the people of Barovia from their Darklord!"
"And leave them open to someone possibly worse?" Varharland asked "this is the Domain of Dread, Chromaxis! Strahd is probably one of the better Darklords!"
"But he's a Vampire!"
"True, he is," said Varharland " but although his people fear him, they are loyal to him, and he does protect them from something worse! No, killing Strahd would not 'free' the people of Barovia, it would possibly make their situation worse!" he padded forward, shifting shape back to Dragonborn form, put his clothes back on and looked at the remaining treasure "a lot of this is pretty much useless, probably only worth anything to the people of Barovia, slim pickings, guy wasn't much of a mage, more of a Hedge Wizard" he picked up a spellbook.