Chapter Twenty-Eight

Minor bit of Flirting here and slightly mature themes.

The party continued on their trek across the landscape for another couple of days not really seeing anything out of the ordinary or anything they couldn't fight, which gave them more reason to believe that they weren't on their own Plane or dimension.
Caldon riding point on the back of Varharland with his brother and sister in law and Uncle all ranged behind him kept up a running conversation with Varharland, telling him all about his friends, his life, his school and Shadowdale.
Varharland proved to be an engaging conversationalist (not that they didn't already all know that!) told him stories about his years as a Spelljammer Captain and his own life on Toril for the last eighty years or so, although they all suspected he left some things out, parts of his past that he kept to himself.
"Shadowdales so boring!" Caldon said, " sure we have two of Faerun's legends living there but I want to see the world! I want to see Kara-Tur, and Chessenta and the Utter East and Nimbral and Suzail! I want to see the palace where the king of Cormyr lived for so many years, where you and Mendis all live!"
"The Kingdom has recovered from that," said Varharland "more or less, the Heir Apparent is still too young to rule".
"Yeah I was only a kid when that happened," said Caldon " Mendis wasn't though".
Mendis said " yeah".
"I met Azoun and Vangerdahast," Darkstar said who was walking alongside Varharland and easily keeping up, Mendis noticed he was using his speed boots.
"You did?" Caldon asked.
"Rather unexpectedly, I might add, all wizards who were not members of the War Wizards who pretty much rule Suzail have to go register themselves with the Crown as Suzail has some rather strict rulings when it comes to Magic users if you don't register you will be hassled by the War Wizards until you register yourself with the Crown. However, when Dinan and I first came to Suzail about 10 years ago, we didn't know that we were arrested, clapped in chains and dragged before Vangerdahast and King Azoun accused of been spies of the kingdom, you know why?"
"Because you're a sorcerer?" Caldon asked.
"No, because we were Drow and I was also a Sorcerer" he replied, " they thought us Drow spies, it took Var, Brithic and another Senior Harper to free us, Caldon be grateful that you are not a Drow".
Caldon paused and had a think about it and then said: "I guess you're right".
"Even now, millennia later after the Descent and even if you're a good Drow and a follower of Eilistraee which both Dinan and I are, Drow are still unwelcomed and treated with distrust and even hate in most areas of Faerun, Dinan and I are survivors, why do you think I learnt to fight as well? Been a Surface dwelling Dark Elf is not easy. I can tell you now" Darkstar said, " so be grateful that you are a Halfling".
Mendis who'd been scouting came down and hovered in front of Varharland " we got another obstacle in our path, it is to cross a chasm, and something is living in it".
"Something? And how big?" Var asked looking up as he could see the chasm.
"I think it's a Hydra" Mendis replied, "or something like that, I'm picking up at least seven different brains".
"A seven-headed Hydra?" Varharland asked, " how smart is it?"
"not as smart as you are I think but it is cunning and dangerous," Mendis said, " there is a stone bridge and a lair across the chasm but we are going to have to fight our way past the Hydra as there is no other way around it I can see".
"Is it aware of us?" Var asked.
Mendis frowned, his eyes got that faraway look in them when he was using his Telepathy " no I don't think so, well at least not yet".
"Mendis are you in contact with the creature?" Var asked.
Mendis nodded " well yeah, I'm reading its mind, it was the only way I could determine what it was".
"Well get out of there before it becomes aware of you!"
"It's too dumb!" Mendis replied, " it can't catch me!"
"Well OK," said Varharland concern evident in his voice.
"it's way too dumb," said Mendis " it can't pick me up, I'm definitely picking up seven heads though".
"Ok," said Varharland " please withdraw, I don't like you reading minds it is too dangerous, even if it is too dumb to pick you up I don't want you hurt".
"Already done so," said Mendis.
"So we need to go fight a Hydra, hay I can handle that, I'm several tonnes worth of muscle and scales at the moment, you may need to get off me though".
"Ok," Mendis said settling down on his back " we'll be there in an hour or so".
"Probably less," said Var.
Skyla came up to Mendis and said ** excuse me for doing this Mendis** she apologised as he let her in.
** What's up Skyla?** he asked her.
** I thought this should not be said within hearing of your group which is why I have switched to Telepathy, closed telepathy by the way **.
** It's Ok Skyla I know you **.
** You mind shadowed that Hydra didn't you? You slipped in like a Shadow without been detected? **
Mendis looked down almost shamefully ** uh yeah, look I know it isn't precisely protocol or something but I had to determine what it was **.
** There is no need to be ashamed Mendis, your Talafrayen trained and well most trained Psions can do it, slip into a mind without been detected and bypass anything like a Shadow and leave the subjects mind open to you, it is a trick we all learn but like a thief it is not one we should admit to being able to do or even have the power to do so it is not a good idea; however you can obviously do it, just don't admit that you can do it! People are wary of Psions as it is especially on your world where Psionics are viewed with little or no knowledge and more than a bit of suspicion, keep the fact that you can do it under wraps. I don't know how your group would react if they knew that you could slip into their minds undetected and read them as easily as shadow ** she paused " so we have a Hydra to fight do we? I remember my mother, Lanart telling me about fighting a Hydra on a strange and distant Plane some years ago now, I was only a Hatchling at the time, now what was it she said?"
"Hydras are nasty," Varharland said, " but they are also pretty dumb".
Skyla paused " she dubbed it an adventure like no other but here let me think," Skyla chewed thoughtfully on a claw as she thought about it, while Varharland passed the alert on about the Hydra.
"Ooh nasty!" Darkstar was heard saying.
"I haven't yet found something that I can't beat with cold steel," Baldur from atop Skyla said.
Shard who was also riding double with Baldur said, " cold steel maybe but magic can help as well!"
"Poof! Magic! That's for airy, fairy, pansy, poofy elves!" he waved his hand in dismissal " not Dwarves! Nah! Cold steel is all Dwarves need mostly and mayhap a bit of help from E's God! If things be getting too tough!"
"You're a Cleric!" Shard said, " I be havin some clerical and magical skill meself not a lot though!"
"Ye be's a Priest as well?" Baldur asked.
"Not really" she admitted, "I'm what they call a Battle-Maiden".
Baldur looked at her, he had to admit he found Shard attractive, she was quite the Dwarven beauty even though she wore no beard, which seemed odd to him, he had always found a small beard on a Dwarven maiden quite appealing, she did indulge in long sideburns though, teamed up with Smokey blue eyes and rosy-hued skin, the strawberry blonde Dwarf Maiden was quite attractive.
He noticed that she also had small pointed ears like an Elf or a Halfling and her eyes betrayed a slant, although her body was nicely shaped and muscular how a Dwarf woman should be and her low, husky voice was genuinely enchanting to hear, he wondered if she was promised to anyone? A lovely woman like her couldn't possibly be single!
"Oh which God?" he asked.
"Deela" she replied, " Lord under the Mountain".
Baldur thought about that one and then said, " don't know that one" he looked at her " ye not be from Toril are ye?"
"No," she said, " not originally no".
"Then where? The Domains of Dread?"
"Lordy no!" she said with a chuckle "I'm from Crasolia!".
"Crasolia?"
"It's another world" she offered.
"Is that why ye be lookin so different?" he asked.
"Well yeah," she said, " We call ourselves Darwisha, we're basically the Crasolian equivalent to a Dwarf".
"Arh," he said, "I thought that maybe ye had some Elvish or Halfling blood in you".
"Hardly I just look like this, pointed ears and slanted eyes are a characteristic that all Crasolians share".
He looked at her " how different ye be?"
"Not very" she replied.
Baldur said, " ye be a fine lookin lassie Shard, would ye care to try that theory on how different ye be?"
Shard blushed rather prettily then " are ye asking me to sleep with ye Baldur Battlehammer? To share ye bedroll?"
"Well now," Baldur said.
"We haven't even been properly introduced!" she protested.
"I'm sorry, I didna mean..." Baldur said embarrassed, Dunderhead! He thought, of course, she was spoken for! Someone that gorgeous is way out of your league Battlehammer! She's a lady! Think with your head more rather than your loins! The voice sounded suspiciously like his friend Grungi Demonslayer "I mean if ye are promised to someone or anything I would never presume...".
Shard chuckled "no, I not be promised to anyone, you just took me by surprise that is all! We barely know each other and ye want me to sleep with you?"
Baldur said " well uh...".
"Tell ye what, if we survive the battle with the Hydra and ye fight well, that'll be your prize!"
Baldur said " really?"
"Really believe me I be no untouched maiden," she said.
"Didna think ye were," he said, " fair enough, a deals a deal!"
They shook hands on it "no strings attached I promise unless something unexpected happens!"
She chuckled "I'm not in my Cycles anyway, the chances of that happening are nil and even if I was I got me some protection anyway!"
Skyla smiled and looked up and said, "are you two flirting?"
Baldur said, "it be none of yer business what we be doin Dragon!"
Skyla said, " you are, aren't you?"
"Well now," said Shard.
Skyla chuckled " don't be embarrassed or ashamed. I started flirting with Var the moment I met him too! Some would even say I threw myself at him it worked out though, now we're getting married as soon as we get back to Toril!"
"Good luck to ye then," said Baldur "I'm not hangin around with a bunch of airy, fairy elves!"
"You don't like Elves much do you?" Skyla asked.
"Elves are pussies! All high and mighty with their pointed ears and slanted eyes, their fairies! Every single one of them! Especially male elves! And the females, ye ain't got nothing to hold onto, don't ye agree Shard?"
"I can't say," said Shard "I'm from Crasolia not Toril remember? We don't have Elves on Crasolia only Gorta-Trellians who look a lot like Elves granted but most definitely are not! They rule the planet, GT are much like humans in that way it's their world, their most numerous and the most commonly found race".
Skyla chuckled "I'm not an elf and nor is Varharland we're both Dragons, so it doesn't really matter what form he chooses to wear I just match it, besides he doesn't really look like an Elf either, he looks like an Eladrin who aren't elves".