Chapter Twelve

Sithicus- The Demiplane of Dread- Kythorn 1373

It was a week or so later and Mendis was the first to awaken and he had the distinct feeling that something was very wrong, it had been growing for a few days now and his sleep and his dreams had been plagued by strange visions and portents and half remembered dreams, including ones of Jondalar and Josalyn.
The Carnival had moved further into Sithicus and were now within Har-Thelon, having entered the city Gates and been led to a large cleared area just inside the city Gates, they had set up their wagons and tents but business had been slow, so Rudi had declared minimal setup.
The city itself was a grey dismal place, pot holes dotted the streets, the walls themselves crumbled and it was almost mediocre lacking the beauty of Elven cities on other worlds.
Lyessa who had been to the elven cities of Qualinost and Silvanost on Krynn found the whole place sad, even Narache who was not even a Krynnish Elf found the city of Har-Thelan saddening, Narache who remembered the beauty and grace of Evermeet, Narache who yearned for Evermeet but knew he could never return.
Mendis had a feeling that Narache had been hoping to see some of the beauty of Evermeet recaptured in Har-Thelen, had grown morose and sad since entering Sithicus, even Varharland seemed more solemn since coming here and as for the Drow twins, who could guess? They had grown up in Skullport a human city and had only ever seen a Drow city once.
Mendis rolled over and got out of bed and pulled on his robe and went out to the main part frowning as he noticed it seemed unusually dark outside and wondered if it was earlier than he thought, he lit the lanterns and put the kettle on.
Caladan looked up from where he was sleeping on the table with Twinkle cuddled into him and said, "you're up early".
Mendis said "Yeah I'm aren't I? But I'm sure it is later than what it appears to be" he looked at his timepiece (a gift from Nimbral) "either my watch has stopped or there is something very wrong".
"Pardon?" Caladan asked.
Mendis looked outside noticing that it was dark like it was either still nighttime or early morning "according to my timepiece it is two hours after sunup".
"But it is still dark" Caladan insisted standing up on his hindlegs and waved a tiny claw at the window, waking up Twinkle who complained and made a swipe at Caladan.
"It's still dark!" she insisted.
Mendis patted the Tressym and put Caladan on his shoulder "I think we should go check it out Caladan".
He opened the door expecting a blast of cold air but found that it was warm, early summer air.
"This is weird" Mendis said stepping outside noticing that it was indeed still dark, dark enough in fact that his low-light vision was automatically activated he switched it off and picked up a lantern instead.
Caladan sniffed the air "You know it is Daylight?"

"How can you tell?"
"I can smell it" the Dragon replied, "it's not nighttime or early morning it's definitely daylight".
"Then why is it so dark?" Mendis asked "it's like it is still nighttime!"
Caladan said "Your been having visions and portents of, late haven't you?"
"Well yes" Mendis replied "I've seen through Josalyn's eyes twice and oh my gosh!" he paused stunned "my visions! My visions have been of darkness sweeping across the lands".
"Exactly!"
Mendis shook his head "I have been having visions of darkness lately and I've been feeling that there's been something very wrong!"
Caladan hopped off Mendis's shoulder "looks like it's come to fruition".
Mendis nodded "my futuresight isn't normally this accurate! I've been getting visions of darkness but I thought it meant that these lands were dark, I didn't realise it meant this".
Caladan asked "Your gotten stronger of late haven't you? maybe it also means your ability to predict the future is growing as well".
"Growing more accurate?" Mendis asked.
"Yeah" said Caladan "Look you'll probably never be 100% accurate but it doesn't mean your accuracy level to predict the future won't grow as well. You are a powerful Psionicist Mendis, a very powerful one which is why Master Mindshadow sent me to you".
Mendis nodded "I guess it is possible" he said thoughtfully.
Caladan dropped to all fours again and continued "Your powers are amazing, you are probably one of the most powerful Adepts of the Path at your current skill and you are only going to get stronger as you grow older and learn more control of you powers".
Mendis said "that scares me a little you know".
Caladan said "you do right to fear your powers a little; it is what makes you learn to control them more and makes you strong and having that respect, fear and knowledge for your abilities will make you a better Adept for it".
Mendis nodded "I guess, Master Mindshadow always said that fear can be a negative or a positive force depending on how the individual handles it, fear can make you strong or it can leave you weak".
Caladan nodded "Yeah" he got back onto Mendis's shoulder.
"This Darkness isn't normal" Mendis said "something is very wrong and I don't think Lord Soth has anything to do with it".
"Tell me about it" said Varharland, Mendis turned and saw Varharland walking up holding a lantern as well.
"Morning Varharland" Mendis said.
"It is two nearly three hours after sunup and it is a dark as night there is something definitely wrong about this" Varharland said.
Mendis said "I have been having visions of late of a darkness falling across the lands but I thought it was just because this world is dark not that it meant of actual darkness falling across the land".
"Hmm" Varharland said frowning as there also seemed to be sparks falling out of the sky as well " this is weird".
Trias walked up then, the Angel's glow was more prominent now seeing it was dark and noticed Mendis and Varharland standing together looking around confused Mendis turned to Trias " what do you think is causing this Trias?"
Trias shook his head "I can't say, some dark and evil force has come across these lands and it is not because of Lord Soth!"
"Gee why is it so dark?" Caldon said as the door opened and Caldon fully dressed came out.
"Something is very wrong" said Trias.
Caldon looked around awed " this is weird! It's like it is still nighttime".
"I don't think daylight ever came" said Mendis.
Trias said "this is going to cause havoc amongst the Darklords as it is not only Sithicus that is affected the whole world is! The Darklords are all going to be blaming each other for it, Soth will blame Aderre, Strahd will blame Soth, Aderre will blame Soth, and Hazlik will blame Harkon Lukas, you name it, and Strahd will probably blame everyone and I don't think it has anything to do with any of them! No this is from outside the Demi-Plane."
"Gosh" said Mendis.
Varharland said "maybe this is what Jondalar and Josalyn were looking for".
"Yeah" said Mendis "maybe".
"This is weird" said Meriel's voice as she stopped outside followed by Twinkle "what's going on?"
Mendis shrugged "I have no idea" he said, "seems my visions are getting more accurate than I ever thought possible!"
"Yes" she said.