Chapter Four

Shadowdale-Faerun- Mirtul 1373

Mendis flew down from the treehouse the next morning noticing that only a few people were up and about, the party must have been good.
Tevon was sitting on the verandah of his mother's house smoking his pipe with a cup of coffee beside him, a plate of cereal and the local weekly edition of the news publication.
"Morning Tevon" said Mendis.
Tevon looked up "what you doing up?"
" Meri's still asleep you know what I'm like" said Mendis.
"Yeah but last night was your wedding night!" he said.
"And what a night it was!" said Mendis.
"We didn't expect to see either you or Meriel to this afternoon" Tevon said.
Mendis shrugged "like I said, early riser, seen either of my parents?"
"Your mothers in the kitchen, your fathers in the fields" he said.
"Of course!" Mendis said "the crops!"
"yeah" said Tevon looking at Mendis who looked fresh and ready to take on the world "good night?"
Mendis nodded "yeah".
Tevon nodded "same here, I'm glad that you decided to stay in Shadowdale for a few more days".
Mendis said "why?"
"I forgot what been in a Halfling community was like" Tevon said offering Mendis his pipe, which Mendis turned down "I was born in Cormyr, but we visited Luiren sometimes and I didn't realise I had missed it so much!"
Mendis said "I grew up here" he paused "I like living in Suzail but I like to come home every so often to visit my family".
"Your parents are great" said Tevon "say whose room am I in?"
"Shaona's old room you met her yesterday the one with the two kids".
"Yeah I remember your older sister right?"
"No I'm the oldest; Shaona is three years younger than me".
Arh" said Tevon "your families great especially the two little ones".
"Tarma and Caldon aren't exactly little" said Mendis "their ten almost 11".
"I know they don't look much alike though do they?"
"Yeah" said Mendis "although they still have similarities if you know what to look for. They did as babies though, mum used to dress them in matching rompers and that mostly. Although she also often used to put Tarma in a dress, but as they grew up, they grew less alike and more different. Tarma's hair lightened, Caldon's went sandy, and so forth".
"Who's the oldest?"
Tarma she was born seven minutes ahead of Caldon. I was a tween myself when they were born".
"Did you have your wings then?"
Mendis nodded "I've always had my wings, I was pretty young when I got them! Tarms used to think I was an angel or a fairy sometimes I think she still does".
Tevon chuckled "yeah I couldn't believe it either when I first met you".

"My wings do have a tendency to surprise people, anyway I'm going inside".
Mendis walked up to Aslina and said, "morning mother".
Aslina looked up from where she was taking cookies out of the oven "Mendis!"
"I have always been an early riser" he said pouring himself some coffee" it's that new Maztican brew I recognise the aroma".
"yeah" said Aslina "Callan bought it with him after visiting Waterdeep".
"Since when has dad had to go to Waterdeep?"
"Your father of late has been making a yearly pilgrimage to Waterdeep to sell and market some of his woodwork and other things" she said. "he goes to one of the festivals there".
"Oh" said Mendis helping himself to some cookies, Aslina slapped his hand.
"They're still cooling!" she scolded.
"No matter" said Mendis taking two.
Aslina rolled her eyes "you're incorrigible!"
Mendis bit into a cookie "I know" he said grinning and kissed her and went back outside.
Tevon looked up as he walked out and said, "coffees good".
"yeah" said Mendis just as the door opened and both Caldon and Tarma both dressed for school both came out on the verandah.
Tarma said "Morning Mendis".
"Morning" said Mendis.
"Thought you still be asleep" she said.
"I have always been an early riser" he said.
"yeah" said Meriel's voice as she walked onto the verandah, yawning dressed in her Clerical Garb.
"Morning Aunt Meriel" said Tarma.
Meriel chuckled "we're family now Tarma, Meriel is fine, you're always called me Meri anyway".
"I know it's just that well seeing you're married now. . . "Tarma said.
"Tarma" said Meriel "we're sisters now".
"I guess," said Tarma looking at her feet, which were covered by a fine coating of fair hair.