Chapter Thirty-Seven

* Short Chapter

The Planes of Tetaren

"Do you think we are ready to go?" Varharland asked Skyla a couple of days later as Skyla checked the gun.
"Uh-huh," said Skyla "I used the same theory and based it on building a Psiblade to fix the gun; but it means you have to be at least sensitive to the Way to be able to use it. It can be used by someone not attuned to the Way, but not quite as effectively, Hopefully, the Torlanan's can work a way to get around that. They might have more tech than we do and can fix it properly but yeah we are ready to go".
"How powerful is the gun?" Trias asked.
"It's a Terraforming vehicle," Skyla said " the laser is only slightly more powerful than my Psiblade and on a much larger scale! It's enough to cut through rock and rather short-range not enough to take down a city or anything but at short range, it can certainly do damage to flesh and blood and bone it's low level".
Trias said, "I still don't like this using technologised machines of war".
"It's not a machine of war!" Shard insisted " a Gatling Gun could easily slice through the hull, it's a civilian vehicle!" Skyla said " it's a Terraformer/mining vehicle! I have seen machines of war and this isn't one!"
"Is it any worse than a Siege Tower or Battering Ram?" Varharland asked Trias "you're seen the Blood Wars, as have I! think about it! Like Shard and Skyla I have seen War Machines of Technology, Ex-Spelljammer remember? This isn't one! It is not a tank it's a Terra-Forming vehicle it's for cutting through rock!"
Trias said, "I still don't like the idea of using Technology we have no knowledge of".
Varharland said, "live with it, ok."
"I also don't like the idea that several of you are using weapons like it" Trias added, "our worlds, just aren't ready for that sort of thing!"
Varharland said, " we're going to leave the vehicles with the Torlanan's, Trias, I agree, Toril at its current state just aren't ready for this sort of thing!"
"Well, leave your weapons as well...".
"Hardly!" Skyla said, "look ordinary swords and that is perfectly ok for Toril as Shard said we don't really need our weapons on Toril."
Shard indicated her Dwarven Battle-axe and crossbow these have never let me down."
"Yeah," said Varharland

"I still rather you didn't carry the weapons you do," Trias said.
"Look cool it, Trias, we're adepts," said Skyla "Ok load her up and let's get moving".
"Your On," said Var "whose driving?"
"Someone who knows how?" Shard suggested.
"OK," said Varharland starting up the transport "Mmm I'm pretty sure I can do that...I think Skyla or Shard could either of you drive the other one?"
"yes," said Skyla "We need two to drive the ATV, Shard could probably handle the transport vehicle.
"Sure thing!" Shard said.
"OK," said Var getting in and taking over the co-drivers seat, Skyla sat next to him "we need to get you some more robes," she said softly.
Var shrugged, looking down at his current garb which was his golden coloured elven chain shirt, tunic, tabard, trousers, elven made boots and his cloak "Maybe" he said disarming "Ok, let's lock and load! On we go" they started up the vehicle.
"Hello, my name is Suez; how may I assist you?" a voice said making them both jump as it spoke.
But Skyla a little more used to such things asked " could you show us how to drive this? I'm Skyla Alatza Lanart, and this is Varharland Silverfire".
"Silverflash! Not Silverfire!" Varharland corrected " and I don't believe I've ever heard your full name before! Alatza is that your middle name?"
"It's how the God referred to you Var," she said, " and my name merely translates into First Daughter of Lanart."
"Yeah I know...but," he said.
"I can take care of all of your driving needs until you learn how," Suez asked, "I can teach you how as we go".
"Thanks," said Var " so um, Suez how do we start her up?"
"You really don't know?"
"Well no we come from a pretty low-tech world actually," Var said "no technology like this....closest would be a Spelljamming ship or something and even they are rare where we come from...although I did see something like this in Hruula once and in a Gnome city... But they were mainly stream powered, this isn't".
"Very well," she said, "well first, you need to make sure the key is in the ignition."
"Figured that much," said Var turning the key frowning at the hint of silver scales on his arm, his body was trying to protect him...but still "hang on guys" as the other vehicle started up, Shard was at the wheel of that one and Mendis was beside her.
"I will control the guiding system until you know how" Suez offered.
"Probably a good idea," Var said, turning the wheel and got the mining vehicle facing outwards.
"Good," said Skyla "that's a start, ok, let's go Varharland".
Varharland said, " are you sprouting scales too?"
Skyla nodded "I think our bodies are trying to protect us both".
"OK grateful it isn't just me then," said Varharland and then added "good call, I think I can remember how now, ok let's go," he said into the intercom "Mendis, Shard? Ready to go".
"As ready as we'll ever be," Shard said.
"I still don't think we should be fooling with these" Trias said sounding concerned
"Trias we will give them to the Torlanan's ok? give it a rest will you" Narache said.
"I still don't reckon we should be trying to use such Technology that's all...we aren't ready for such a step forward," Trias said " I've seen what unknown technology can do. In the Blood Wars".
Varharland said "Trias is it the Technology what worries you? Or the fact that we aren't afraid to try and use it?" Varharland asked then.
Trias said, " that is indeed a very good question Varharland".
"It is indeed a very good question, Trias, and one I can't really answer at the moment with any accuracy. Only this, the Vehicles were revealed to us for a reason, I feel...there is a reason for this whole thing. I'm an ex Spell-Jammer remember? And even I am feeling a little anxious about the whole thing, the truth is part of me is even thinking that maybe we would be better getting out and walking...we don't really know what we have here."
"That is probably not a good idea not in these caves at the moment at any rate" Suez said helpfully.
"Why?" Trias asked.
"There is difficult terrain ahead of us also the Shaercaz make their home in these caves, the Shaercaz city is two days ahead of us, we can stop there and get supplies and information".
"Who are the Shaercaz?" Varharland asked.
"You have met the Shazran?"
"Those big nasty things that bought us here," Mendis asked he had come over for last-minute instructions.
"Yes they are also known as Boom-Booms, the Shaercaz are the same race, but they look different and they are not evil and are their ancient enemies" Suez explained.
Trias nodded "kind of like the Githyanki and the Githzerai by the sounds of it, same race...ancient enemies".
Varharland nodded "yeah so we can get help from these....Shaercaz?".
"Yes," said Suez.
"OK we'll head that way then but what do you mean by difficult Terrain?"
"Lava pits, high ledges, rock slides, narrow passageways areas I can navigate".
"Ok," said Varharland "thanks Suez, we will follow your guidance".
"About bloody time you listened to someone else's advice!" Varharland's sentient sword Lilacor muttered.

"Lilacor I didn't ask for your opinion," Varharland said to the sword he had picked up years ago in some ruins.
"Maybe it is time that you did!" Lilacor said.
"Well ok, I will take that under some consideration then," Var said.
"You also have a sentient blade?" Trias asked.
"Sentient blades can be dangerous," Trias said, "I am always worried about Grace's".
"Lilacor's harmless, it was a Copper Dragon once, it wisecracks, makes rude or snide comments, sings badly, has an inflated ego of itself, calls me an airy, fairy elf, or a lame-brained Dragon; But he's hardly going to overtake me or impinge on my will yes I have a Dragonblade as well," Varharland said; " He's always sparring with Tevon's sword Jaws neither of which are evil, I got them both checked out, neither of our blades are evil and nor is Narache's Moonblade".
"OH," said Trias "I always fear for Grace's soul, due to her sentient blade".
"Grace is Half Erinyes if her Blade hasn't taken over her yet I sincerely doubt it will," Var said "Grace likes you, blazes with goodness, just not quite as brightly as you do, your practically a Paladin! Even I'm murkier than you! And I'm a Silver Dragon!"
Trias said " very well...that makes me wonder though about you".
"It's my background," Var said.
Grace spoke then "Trias cool it will you? I believe Var's reasoning for the technology it was given to us as a tool. I think it has been a unanimous vote that we will leave the vehicles with the Torlanan's once we get there. Our worlds such as they currently are aren't ready for technology like this" she was sitting on one of the seats in the mining vehicle.

Trias said, "look I'm sorry I seem um....well stubborn about this, I just don't really like it that's all".
"Whoa! We have been given a tool to use, let's use them!" Skyla said, " we may need all the tools we have been given!"
Trias sighed "well Ok".
"Hay Flyboy, you ready to move? As I'm saying this, we are locked and loaded and ready to move!" came Shard's voice over the intercom.
"Coming," said Mendis teleporting out.
"Powers like that should not be used so lightly," said Trias then.
"Mendis doesn't use his powers lightly," Var said, "but he does use them".
"It can't be still a good idea to use power like his so lightly, like the way he does," Trias said.
"Mendis does not take his powers lightly or uses them lightly," Dinan said, "He's probably one of the most responsible people in the Band!".
They heard the other vehicle start-up and Shard's voice came over the intercom "Ready to move here folks when you are?"
"Yes Shard, let's go, sit tight everyone, Suez take us out of here," Var said.
"Lets rumble! Follow my lead!" Suez said.
"You're in charge, Suez," said Varharland.