Chapter Twenty

As they walked further in, they heard and felt something that sounded like a huge wheel starting up and turning and they all felt the rumble, the tower shuddered.
Varharland stopped then and asked, "can anyone tell me what just happened then?"
"Sounded like the tower started up" Mendis suggested cheerfully "I think we're moving!"
Varharland said "did you, Tevon or Caldon touch anything and didn't mention it?"
The three male Halflings looked at each other and Tevon said "why is it that whenever something untoward happens, Halflings always get the blame?"
"Did you?" Varharland repeated.
"No!" said all three.
"Well not that we know of" Mendis amended helpfully "besides we aren't the only ones in here!"
Varharland said "I'm sorry Halflings".
"But isn't that always the way! Something goes wrong blame the Halflings!" Tevon continued sulkily clearly Halfling pride had been wounded!
"I'm sorry" said Varharland.
"Everyone always blames the Halflings!" Tevon muttered.
"Ok" said Varharland "I'm sorry ok? I didn't mean to upset any of you".
"Tevon cool it" said Mendis then thank the gods for Mendis's cool calm collectiveness Varharland thought.
"Yeah" Meri added and Meri's practicality Varharland added mentally "so where to now? Anyone have a clue where we are going?"
"Sigil perhaps?" Trias suggested.
"Planar travel can take you anywhere! Who has any idea?" Varharland said.
They entered another chamber where in the middle was what looked like a huge crystal and standing looking at it was the strangest humanoid they had ever seen!
He stood on his hind legs, had two arms and pointed ears, long wavy brown hair, had horns and he had a two handed sword strapped across his back and was standing holding a staff he seemed entranced by a crystal hanging in the air and didn't notice the party walking in.
"Hello?" Varharland called trusting his instincts about the stranger he felt. 
The stranger turned to him holding a long sword at the ready they hadn't noticed before threatening them "who are you?" he demanded his voice was low, deep and melodic. Varharland said "a lost traveller like you are I wouldn't wager". 
The stranger said, "be you friend or foe?"
"Friend I hope" said Varharland "are you friend or foe?"
The stranger lowered the sword "wish I knew however it seems that maybe I can trust you". 
Var asked "who are you?"
"Like I said I wish I knew" he paused "I can only remember a name which is Jihid" he sheathed the longsword and said "I don't know who I am, do you?"

Varharland recognised the sign of someone who had been Planes Lost, someone who'd been lost and trapped on the Planes for a considerable time, perhaps years, the planes were full of these lost souls, he was also quite possibly a Tiefling one of the many children of the Planes or Planestouched as they were known, meaning he was human or Elf and something else.
"How long have you been here?" Var wondered.
The stranger shrugged and said, "I can't remember I have been lost I think but I don't know for how long".
Varharland looked at the crystal and asked, "what is this?"
"I don't know but somehow it seems familiar, I have been here before but I don't know how or when" the stranger replied.
Varharland said "we seem to be in a mutual predicament then, we entered this tower and now we're moving we were trying to get to the top".
Jihid nodded "that is a long way I haven't got to the top as yet myself".
Varharland nodded "hmm I suspected that, so do you know how to use those swords you are carrying?"
"Well enough" Jihid replied.
"Care to come with us then? Getting to the top may help you find out who you are" said Varharland.
"Ok but I think my memory of who I was has been lost to the Planes forever and I doubt that I ever will find it" he stood up and unfurled a small pair of black, demon like wings from his back " let's go my silver haired friend, who are you?"
"How rude of me! My name is Varharland Silverflash" Varharland replied "and these are my friends" he introduced his friends in turn than indicated the wings "do they work?"
"Not so well" said Jihid "I can glide but I can't fly to well".
"What are you?"
Jihid shrugged "I have no idea! I think I knew once but no longer".
"Cambion or Tiefling perhaps" said Varharland "welcome aboard".
He nodded "I'm a warrior though" he indicated the sword "yes I do know how to use these swords I'm carrying, know some magic as well".
Varharland nodded "ok" as the stranger joined their party.
"And then there were 15" Mendis quoted softly.
"Yeah" Meri agreed as they walked. 
           It was the sound of magic casting ahead of them that got their interest and alerted them to possible trouble so the party went forward and saw the reason. A male Half Orc, a Half Drow woman and a human woman with just a touch of the exotic in her, perhaps just a hint of elven blood were been assailed from all sides by Undead including what appeared to be a minor lich and a couple of Mummies and they looked to be in dire need of some help.