Chapter Twenty-One

The party kept walking along the corridor on the outlook for any more trouble.
Darkstar fell into step beside Mendis and Caldon wanting to exchange a few words with the two newly fledged Sorcerers, the Drow matched his pace with the two Halflings.
The Halflings noticed this and Mendis asked: " what do you want Darkstar?"
Darkstar replied "just want to give you some advice, just because you don't have to memorise spells doesn't make you invulnerable and also don't overtax yourself when you cast spells because it can wear you down and that can be both disastrous and dangerous, remember that ok? You're not invincible, also study a bit into your powers and learn to use them properly and you will be the stronger for it".
"yeah," said Caldon " tell me why there are Sorcerers, why does it happen? I mean I've always had my powers, but I had them blocked for so long, I near had forgotten that I even had them let alone knew how to use them".
"And I never learnt how, because my thing has always been Psionics I had no idea that I was a Sorcerer".
Darkstar grinned his white teeth contrasting sharply with his ebony skin and continued " many say that Sorcerers have the blood of some old and powerful being within them, like a Dragon or something, I can't say yay or nay to that, but I do know this, your magic much like mine comes from within you, not without and they grow as you do, but you are not invulnerable remember that, treat your magic with respect and it will reward you, Mendis can probably help you Caldon with some techniques and I could help you both with your magic" he paused "Var and I are both Sorcerers, and I'm something more as well, but we are also both Mages, we are somewhat limited in that area and Var's magic works differently to mine and mine works differently to everyone else's, your magic grows, it changes, magic it is your life, it is in your blood" he paused than continued " and to be honest Mendis I don't find it at all surprising, that you also have Sorcerer powers, I was always surprised that you weren't, you are so touched by magic how could you not be!"
"I still can't write a scroll or anything".
"you don't need to," Darkstar said.
"I fell outta place," said Narache "I'm just a Bladesinger".
"You're a Bladesinger," said Darkstar " that in itself is pretty amazing! And besides, you are not 'just a Bladesinger', not the only one, Cally is a Mage as is Trias, although Liarna, K'hari and Grace are Bardy as is Josalyn, you probably all have more spells than me!"
Narache said "I guess" he shrugged " so any idea where we go from here?"
Darkstar shrugged "up".
"Ok," said Narache.
They continued upward, Skie and Sylandra stuck together with their Half-Orc friend, Jihid walked at the back, they all wondered about him, was he a Wizard? Cleric? Fighter? Sorcerer or Psionicist? They had all seen him wielding his sword in battle and then casting, it was clear he had skills in both.
Mendis fell into step beside him and asked " what are you? You fight like a fighter, but you can also cast spells".
"Sort of" he replied, " but my spells are more towards a divine sort".
"Ok," said Mendis " as in?"
"I know some clerical like spells, but I can also cast some magelike spells like I said I have no idea what I am, and it isn't really magic anyway".
"I think you're a Tiefling," Mendis said.
They continued upwards. Ever upwards they had to fight their way through some more undead and Mendis got the impression that they were no longer where they had been, especially when his wings changed colour taking on a black and red hue, although noone but Mendis seemed to notice this.

Jihid however did and looked at them in amazement "what the...?"Mendis shrugged " my wings change colour when I move from place to place".

"Do they change shape as well?" he asked.
Huh?"
"Have a look yourself".
Mendis did so and said "I didn't realise," he said noticing that his wings although still feathery, they had gone more batlike "they do change shape sometimes!"
"Maybe they do on the Planes," said Jihid.
Mendis regarded his wings and said " this is too weird!" he folded them down tightly against himself under his cape.
"Where did you get wings?" Jihid asked.
"Misfired spell, polymorphic in nature I'm assuming".
"Must have been a pretty powerful one then".
"It almost killed me. I was around 4 or five at the time" he replied, " but they rarely change shape".
"Well, they have now," said Jihid.
Mendis nodded " yeah".
"Let's go" called Var then " we have got some ground to cover I feel before we get to the top and I have a feeling that is where we will find our answers, it may be our only way home especially if this is indeed a Plane hopping tower".
"I wonder if it is connected to the one on Talafran" Mendis wondered then.
"Pardon?" Trias asked.
"While on Talafran we came across this flying fortress, similar to this one controlled by a Lich called Tenaradan, it really presented a challenge for our party and nearly killed at least six of us," Mendis replied, " myself included".
"Oh," said Trias " go on".
"It was similar to this one," Mendis said he paused and continued "I wonder if the two are linked?" he sighed " are we ever going to be free of such things?"
"I'm afraid thing like this are never gotten rid of," Trias said with a smile.
Varharland shouldered his pack and pulling out his staff to tackle the stairs better, he stalwartly walked forward, seeming to follow a direction only he could decipher.
"Shouldn't one of us go ahead?" Tevon said to Varharland " you know to check for traps and the like?"
"Ok," said Varharland " be careful Tevon".
"I think the lad will be ok," said Jihid then.
"Lad!" Tevon huffed "I have you know I'm several years older than Mendis is!".
"You're a Halfling," said Varharland " you are not that old for one and nor is Mendis".
Tevon said, "yeah whatever, I should be Ok Varharland, I'm not exactly a novice, you know!"
"I know," said Varharland " go ahead".
Mendis went up to Tevon and said: " here I will put a passive link on you, so I'll know if you end up in trouble".
"Thanks, Mendis," said Tevon, as Mendis did so "I'm still never going to get used to your powers though, especially after seeing what those powers can do in Tenaradan's tower".
"Look after yourself, Tev," said Mendis.
"Yeah, I will, shame you can't also loan me your wings".
Mendis chuckled " I can't do that".
Tevon said "Ok" he disappeared into the shadows quickly disappearing from sight.
"Your brother? Yes?" Jihid asked then.
"In all but blood, yes" Mendis replied " we go a fair way back Tevon and me, if I lost him I don't know what I would do" he paused " I did once, and I don't want to again" he turned to Caldon " stay close little Bro".
"Yeah. Yeah" Caldon said, still awed that Mendis shared the magic as well, he had always idolised his older brother, Mendis was everything he wanted to be, and now they shared the magic.
Caldon looked around the party, one day he would be part of this Band, one day he wouldn't just be 'Mendis's little brother' who had run away from home, one day they would consider him a useful addition, a Sorcerer who could fight would be helpful in any Band!
Mendis turned to his brother "don't go wandering off, ok?"

He nodded "I won't".
Mendis said, "I have gotta teach you to shield correctly, I can hear your thoughts".
Caldon blushed "I...you mean I have powers like yours?"
Mendis replied, "I don't know what you have, perhaps a touch of Telepathy, maybe it is just our shared blood, but I got to teach you to shield".
"oh," said Caldon.
Mendis continued, "its ok Caldon whatever it is, I will teach you how to use it properly".
Mendis took Meri's hand, gave it a squeeze, and said, "relax sweet" as he had noticed her frightened look, the Undead were giving her the willies.
"It's ok" he reassured her "Narache can look after them".
Jihid came up and said "there is danger ahead I can sense it" he frowned " we must tread carefully" he paused "one thing I do remember is that I'm a sort of Undead slayer, I can sense them, " he paused " you have one undead member in the party" he indicated Jack "him!".
Mendis nodded " we know, Jack is a ghost of some sort he is bound to K'hari" he indicated the red-headed Half-Elven Bard.
Jihid nodded "I see, do you not worry about him?"
"Who? Jack? Nah! He's harmless! He can't hurt K'hari, and he's even saved the party on some occasions" grateful for that fact that Narache's shield or whatever it was had seemed to have shielded the vampire from detection yet again.
He had a feeling that Narache's shielding was more than just the amulet he wore around his neck, maybe some god also looked out for the kind-hearted, gentle-souled tormented elven vampire, quite possibly even Sehanine herself given the mark he had on his forehead.
"Yeah," said Meriel "Jack is pretty harmless I wouldn't worry about him".
Jihid nodded " is he even aware that he is a ghost?"
"Yes," said Mendis " he does".
"Ok," said Jihid " there are more up ahead. I can feel them".
"You sure you can't fly with those wings," Mendis asked, " you look like you can".
Jihid shook his head "I can't, it seems that I'm too heavy, I can glide somewhat, but that is about it".
"I still think you are half-demon," said Mendis.
Jihid said, "I don't know what I am, I think I'm like you Mendis belonging to neither race" he shouldered his crossbow " let's go!"
Mendis nodded "Ok".