"To thine own self..." (Pt. 1)

——- Y/n's Apartment (Morning) ——-

——- (Y/n's POV) ——-

The sun shines through my apartment and wakes me from a deep and refreshing slumber. Rising and looking out the window, I stand proudly stretching and strutting myself around my own apartment naked, ready to start a new day.

Today is especially special because it'll be my first day at Kuoh Academy. Apparently, it originally was an all girls school but has recently started accepting boys there now. My parents heard about this and decided that it would be a nice change especially since both of them were going overseas to America to potentially open an office there. They claim they didn't want me to spend my time at the house by myself even if I was attending school, but I know the real reason.

See, my family is very rich, or rather, I should say my mother's family is very rich. My father works for my maternal grandfather's real estate company and holds the position of CFO (Chief Financial Officer) which is the second highest position in the company, right below the CEO, my grandfather. My father loves to tell his usual sad tale of how he was really poor as a kid and his mother could barely afford to get him through school, and that while he wasn't the best student academically he made up for it by being especially charismatic. He's a master con man and can talk anyone into buying anything by just flashing his signature smile. That, along with his clever silver tongue and handsome features, is how he was able to woo my mother and her family. He initially didn't go to university because he had to do odd jobs from time to time to take care of his mother who died a few years later and who I unfortunately never got to meet. After his mother died, father used his personal savings, combined with selling some extra furniture from his apartment and his charisma, managed to get into university and graduate with a degree in real estate.

After that, he managed to get a job as a real estate agent for my grandfather's real estate company, Kurosawa Real Estate, became very renowned for being able to sell any and every property given to him, and eventually worked his way to being the CFO all within 10 years after after graduating from college. Grandfather admired father a lot and eventually took him on as his successor. Mind you, this was before he even met my mother. One day he invited him out to dinner with his family to celebrate them selling a property for a large sum of money. There, father met mother, the two fell in love at first sight, or so I'm told, dated, and married within 2 years when they were 33. Mother is a very beautiful woman who could easily be mistaken for a 20 year old, and could've gotten any man she wanted mostly because 1) she comes from a rich family with a long legacy which, as I've been told over and over again, includes individuals who have achieved great things in politics, business, and society as a whole. 2) Her features are very youthful, no doubt thanks in part to her half Japanese on her father's side and half Italian on her mother's side. And 3) she's very quick witted and smart, able to read people easily like a book which is why I still wonder why she decided to marry father when I know she gets tired of his mouth.

I've been groomed to immediately start working for the company once I've graduated high school, and be groomed further until I'm ready to take over the company one day. This is such a hassle. The only reason I'm even taking over the company is because my grandfather and grandmother only had one child: my mother, and grandfather doesn't have any siblings himself. So, succession obviously goes straight to me. They say there could be no better successor: not only am I complimented often for my physical characteristics, but I excel at anything and everything I do both in academics and extracurriculars.

The only thing that's an issue, according to father, is my commitment or therefore lack of. It's not that I don't care about taking over the business, I just don't see why the only way to run it is to act like my father and grandfather who honestly only care about business and their legacies. At least mother and grandmother do care about my feelings, but I'm still upset that father managed to convince mother to come back and work for the company as his personal assistant after being away for 18 years so she could be a stay-at-home mom. What's more, father claims that to run a company or to lead in general, one must have a "hardened heart" to be willing to make sacrifices and put everything on the line to see their dreams come true. He claims  I care too much about life and that I need to learn to be a bit more selfish, or else one day I'll make a mistake that could cost me everything. I initially just took his words as him being prideful as usual... but for some reason, his last words to me before he left with mother are still bothering me.

Flashback (2 weeks ago)

Father: (y/n), I want you to take this year to reflect on who you are, how you hold yourself, and how it will impact people's perception of you.

Y/n: I'll be fine father. I don't need your whole life story told to me again for the 100th time.

Father looked at me with a stern yet soft expression while standing in the doorway. I couldn't understand it: he didn't look mad or disappointed, but he definitely didn't look happy or content either. Then he walks right up to me, takes his right hand to cup my right cheek, looks me directly in my eyes and, instead of talking in his usual semi-sarcastic tone, says in a deep and straightforward voice:

Father: (y/n), you've lived your whole life succeeding at whatever you do. Practically everything you touch turns to gold. However, know that you can only go so far in life with the same kind of attitude. People are too quick to accept their reality and get hurt easily because of it. You aren't going to get far in life if you stay the way you are.

He removes his hand and starts walking towards the door again to leave. He then stops halfway out the door, takes a deep breath and exhales loudly. He turns around and tells me:

Father: Every person that goes down in history as being significant at some point witnessed first hand the cruel result of accepting and living life how we've always done it. They at first decided to keep living their own reality and continue following the cycle. That is what we call fate: the cycle of reality. The only way we grow past that and become something more is by changing our way of life on our own rather than accepting how we already are. I... I've never said it, but you've always made me proud (y/n), but just know that unless you change how you are, you'll get hurt, or possibly even worse. And I won't be there to save you.

With that, father left, closed the door, and I was alone for the first time in my life.

Y/n: Despite how he acts, I do care for him. But what he said just now... why father? Why did you have to go and say something like that?

Present

Father talking all philosophical like that really has me on edge every time I think about, so I'm gonna do my best to block it out and make the best of my new life here.

With that, I take a nice shower to ease my mind. After I get out and dry myself, I iron and put on my uniform in record time. This gives me enough to cook a proper breakfast for myself. While I'm no Chef Ramsay, I do know my way around a kitchen thanks in large part to mother trying all my failed attempts and giving me advice along the way. After fixing and eating a nice breakfast, I get my bag, leave the apartment, and make my way down the stairs. The apartment complex I'm staying in is owned by my family so I'm able to stay free of charge.

After descending the stairs, I manage to catch a nearby bus and am on my way to school. After a short 5 minute drive, I manage to make it on time. I'm starting school later than the other students because of me applying and getting later, complications with planning and me moving into my apartment. I walk up to the front of the school and gaze at it for a bit to take in the sight before.

 I walk up to the front of the school and gaze at it for a bit to take in the sight before

Y/n: Here I am, (y/n) (l/n), about to start my new life at Kuoh Academy.

After psyching myself up, I make my way through the front gates and enter into the school, unsure of what fate has in store for me.

——- (???'s POV) ——-

???:... your fate will no doubt be an interesting one at that (y/n) (l/n). Hehe, let's see how fate plays out for you Lost One.