Chapter 18 "Call Me"

Lilly's POV

Call me a pluviophile; it's true—I so loved every facet of rain. When I was a kid, living in the country, the scent of petrichor was one of the few fond memories I had. My only escape from hell, which would explain the nostalgia everytime it rained. Although that scent doesn't really exist here in the city, these heavenly droplets were the closest thing to peace I'll ever receive. 

"Lilly—roll up that window! I got the heat on—seriously; it's freezing, girl, and I ain't trying to get sick, ya know?!" snapped a voice in front of me.

"Relax, Jeze. You're going to get an aneurysm," I said, tapping a button on the door handle, rolling up the window. 

I then shot back an evil smirk toward the rear view mirror.

"Girl, don't let me pull over," barked Jeze.

"It's too early," said Janet, tapping Jeze's right shoulder. 

"I got it," said Jeze, raising her right index finger up, turning it toward Janet's direction. "Just—whatever?!"

Janet lifted her hands, revealing her palms in a submissive manner, nodding her head, retreating to her seat. 

It was chilly out, though. I rubbed my arms and leaned back into a glaze of heat, circulating throughout the interior of Janet's white, 2019 Audi A3. Meanwhile, I tapped the window with my left index finger, counting the droplets gliding off the surface on the opposite side. I could almost imagine if I were tiny enough to dive directly inside that droplet as if it were a miniature ocean, escaping this world briefly as if nothing else mattered. These were the fantasies I had as a child, sitting in class staring out the window while the normal kids were thinking about Christmas or some other pointless holiday. They couldn't wait to get home. But, I dreaded it.  

"We're here," announced Jeze. "Is someone going to talk to Princess Neverneverland over there and snap her out of that coma?"

"We could just leave her," said Tisha, rolling her eyes. 

"You ladies go on ahead. We'll be up shortly," said Janet, sitting next to me, nudging my shoulder. "I get it. You didn't want to come out tonight."

I exhaled and stared directly at Janet. 

No words needed to be mentioned at this particular juncture. So, after a couple of minutes of uninterrupted silence elapsed, we both stood and made our way toward the elavator. After all, this was just going to be a Jazz event, how uncomfortable was that going to be? Jazz was actually quite soothing to the ear.

As our metallic casket made its ascent toward the top floor, my heart went the opposite direction, sinking into the pit of my stomach. I couldn't quite explain this feeling; it's as if Lilith knew something, but she kept it from me. Once those double doors opened, then it all made sense.

"Such a pity—it's impossible to hold a beauty contest among the angels because you both would have won," crooned Dean, leaning his right shoulder against the wall directly in front as if waiting for us to exit the elevator. "Ladies, please there's people I would like you to meet."

Dean wore a fancy black, silk suit, oozing like an oily, slick politician. And I stood there with my casual attire I had worn earlier for lunch with Adam. Perhaps a tad bit underdressed for this bourgeoisie event. But I didn't mind.

As a dashing urbane, erudite, owning one of the most successful law firms in New York, Dean was quite popular with the politicians and the ladies as he paraded Janet and I around, introducing us to the upper echelon of society. The cloying odor of these stuffy, collared aristocrats was all very nauseating to say the least. I had a tolerance for fakeness, and I had just reached my threshold.