💔 Someone Else (Dwayne) 💔

You were sitting in the cave with the Paul and David, laughing and joking around. A noise at the entrance altered you guys, and you turned to look.

Your best friend, Dwayne, was coming in with his little girlfriend, Daisy. You cringed at the sight of her, his arm wrapped around her waist.

"Guys, I better get going. Early night." You grabbed your things and waved before leaving.

You had just made it outside when you were stopped with a hand on your wrist.

You turned around to see Dwayne.

"What?" You asked, doing your best to keep your voice calm.

"Y/n, what's wrong?" He asked.

You shook your head.

"Nothing. I'm tired and have an early day tomorrow." The lie slipped past your lips. You thought it was convincing, but one of his eyebrows raised.

"I'm not dumb," he said.

You shook your head. "Really, Dwayne."

He sighed and dropped your wrist.

"You've been avoiding me a lot more lately. Especially when I come around with Daisy," he pointed out. You cringed again at the girl's name, her face popping into your mind.

You looked at the ground. It was true; you had been avoiding him lately. You hoped he'd be so preoccupied with his girlfriend that he wouldn't notice. Of course that didn't happen, though. Just your luck.

"Yeah. I'm sorry about that," you sighed. There was no point denying it.

"So what's going on?" He wondered.

You knew you couldn't say it.

"Nothing."

He scoffed. You looked up at him, but dropped your gaze just as fast. You two used to be pretty damn close to inseparable. Up until a month and a half ago, he was your very best friend. And you were his.

"Don't try to lie to me! I'm tired of it! Do you not understand how much it's upsetting me to see you avoiding me!?" He snapped.

Your heart gave a squeeze. You looked at him, wordless. You couldn't think of anything to say.

"So what's going on?" He tried again.

You sighed. You looked back at the ground, hesitating for a long time. He waited patiently while you tried to sort your thoughts.

"It's hard, Dwayne," you finally said. It was hardly more than a mutter, but he managed to hear you.

"What's hard? I don't know if you don't like Daisy, but at least give her a chance. If that's your problem-"

You cut him off, looking at him again but not quite meeting his eyes. "That's not it. She seems like a wonderful person."

It was true, as much as you hated to admit it. She seemed great, which made it that much harder for you.

"Then what is it?" He sighed.

It took another minute for you to piece your next words together. You knew you were about to sever your last ties to him, and that was worse than watching him be with her.

"Dwayne, I can't believe you haven't figured it out by now." You sucked in a breath and forced yourself to make eye contact. "I love you. As more than my best friend, okay? And it's so hard."

He frowned. He was quiet at first. "To see me with someone else?"

You nodded.

"You have no idea. I tried at first, but it hurts too bad."

You looked at the ground again, your eyes threatening to tear up.

"Oh. Well, I'm sorry y/n. It's- it's too late for anything like that," he stated.

You nodded. "Yeah, I know."

Then he went back into the cave and you made your way home, thinking about the mess you were in.