The Second Time Around - Chapter 2 (End)

Start from the beginning

The angry skeleton approached the table, settling for grabbing the guy's shirt and yanking him back into the aisle while growling, "Who the hell are you?"

Before the guy could even utter a sound, Lotus spat out, "He's no one; in fact, he was just leaving... weren't you?" It wasn't so much a question as a command, and Rurik was surprised when the guy quickly backed up and stumbled away from them. He watched the man trip over himself trying to get out of the restaurant, nearly setting himself on fire when he bumped into another table and knocked over their candle in his haste.

Rurik snorted at the pathetic display, turning back to the booth and sliding into his seat, "You okay? Did that jackass do anything?"

"I'm alright, more irritated than anything," Lotus huffed folding his arms across the table. The taller felt his emotions settle as they continued, "The sleaze came over asking if I got stood up; I told him you were here and he slid into the booth, spouting shit about you not being here now and showing me a better time." A smug grin grew on his face as he added, "though he stopped real quick when I shoved a sharpened bone in his crotch and threatened to neuter him if he didn't piss off."

Rurik barked out a laugh, "So that's why he was damn near shitting himself trying to get away; looks like you had everything handled."

"No, I'm glad you showed up when you did," Lotus countered his words with an uneasy grimace, "I had him nervous, but he wasn't moving yet and I think he was still weighing his options before you stepped in; debating whether he could overpower me. You being here made him balk."

"While I'm happy to help, I think you're discounting yourself," Rurik contradicted them, playing with the neck of his beer bottle as he crooned, "I have to say, it was kind of hot watching you put that scumbag in his place."

The hooded monster scoffed, "Keep it in your pants; you already got your Valentine's Day gift. The most you're getting out of me for the rest of the night is cuddles."

"Can't blame a guy for trying," Rurik shrugged, already having expected the response; all things considered, he was curious about the wood carving kit Lotus had gotten him since it would give him a more constructive use for his knife skills and the freedom to make whatever he wanted.

"You did tell me I need to stand up for myself more," Lotus smirked.

"That I did," he confirmed, spotting the waiter walking toward them with a check holder and a small to-go box.

As the man set the check in front of him and the box, Lotus asked, "What's that?"

"It's the reason I got up," Rurik clarified, pulling out a few bills from his wallet and slipping them into the pocket alongside the check, "turns out they have spicy desserts here too."

"Oh really?" Lotus inquired, glancing at the box in intrigue.

"Yup, a little something to take home with us," the taller chuckled as the waiter came back to take their payment. Leaving a few dollars on the table, tucked safely under one of the roses surrounding the candle so it wouldn't fall off the table, he slid out of his seat. Lotus picked up the box and followed, accepting the arm that was presented as they walked out of the restaurant together.

As the pair walked down the quiet sidewalk of the city, Rurik hazarded a question, "So... other than the asshole at the end, did you have a good time?"

"If you're asking whether or not I enjoyed our date, I did," the smaller stated nonchalantly, leaning their hooded skull against his arm, "the food was good and despite the interruption, it was fun."

Rurik's chest swelled with pride, pleased that he had succeeded this time. "Oh! Almost forgot," he exclaimed, digging into his pocket.

"Forgot what?" Lotus prodded, tilting their skull up.

"This," Rurik said, producing his phone with a sly grin, "Every successful date needs a picture to commemorate it."

The smaller skeleton chuckled, letting go of his arm, "Alright then, I can go along with that; though you'll have to crouch since I'm short."

"I prefer to think of it as fun-sized," Rurik quipped playfully, wrapping an arm around his companion and pulling them to his chest so they both fit in the frame.

Lotus snorted as he snapped a quick picture, earning him a playful jab to the ribs, "Rurik, you ass! I wasn't ready yet."

"But I got a nice candid camera photo," Rurik grinned as the smaller jabbed him again. Realigning the phone once more, he laughed, "Okay, okay; for real this time."

The two posed; once the flash went off and Rurik brought the phone closer to inspect the picture, Lotus hugged the arm wrapped around him close and murmured, "Thanks for taking me out; Happy Valentine's Day."

Rurik looked away from the screen, grinned down at his partner, "Happy Valentine's Day to you too."

***

Word Count: 1,519