Truce?

1

Piper

Emotions. The one thing that makes us human. The one thing I wish I could remove. I look around the old room and crinkle my nose at the dust. No one ever used this room because it was smaller and we—I pause—It doesn't matter. There is a knock on my door, and I huff, annoyed and swing it open. "I wanna be alone." I hiss, then pause, before looking down. A tiny body looks up at me with a wide grin, "Pipes." He shrieks loudly. "Mama wants you downstairs for breakfast." He grabs onto my hand and tries to pull with his small body. I laugh and pull him up into my arms instead.

"I need to brush my teeth first."

He scrunches up his nose and it wiggles adorably, "Why—if your breath going to smell like breakfast anyway?"

I tickle his neck and answer, "It's important to keep up your hygiene."

He furrows his eyebrows together for only a millisecond and then wiggles his way out of my arms, "Hurry up or I'll eat your food." With that, he is sprinting down the hall.

"Don't you dare touch my French toast sticks, Sebastian!" I scream after him.

I hurry and brush my teeth before coming out of the room and running straight into someone. "I'm sor—" I pause and narrow my eyes. It's Delilah and thankfully she has on a cover, hiding her navy-blue bathing suit. Lily is coming out the room next and—when did this hall feel so cramp all of the sudden?

Lily gives me a soft smile but she's also looking at me skeptically before narrowing her eyes at her sister, nudging her slightly. Delilah grunts, "Truce?"

"Truce?" I question.

Lily is rolling her eyes. She decides to leave us to ourselves. I wanna scream for her to stay. Not to leave me with this—I look Delilah up and down again—woman.

"Yeah." She replies and my eyes snap up. "Start all over."

I snort, "I think you owe me an apology. Not a fucking truce, asshole."

Delilah's eyes spark, "Apology?" She cackles amused but her jaw is clenching. "You called me a slut."

"Oh, really." I fold my arms and cock my head to the side. "How about we talk about the lies."

Delilah pause and she huff, "You're still mad—"

I put up my hand cutting her off. "I'm not having this conversation with you again, Delilah."

"We never had a conversation, Piper." Delilah shoots back. "You left and never came back to the cabin for two years. The only reason you're here now is because Miranda dragged your ass—"

The sound of heels tapping the wooden floors catches our attention. Delilah immediately snaps her mouth shut and her body relaxes, her eyes becoming soft. My mom comes around the corner. "Are you two going to come and grace us with your presence? Sam sent Sebastian up ages ago—"

"We were just catching up." Delilah replies smoothly. She is always good at deceiving. She shifts, "We're coming soon."

"You're coming now."

Delilah rolls her eyes, "Ugh. Jeez, woman. It's just breakfast." She argues but she's walking toward the stairs. Mom flicks her and Delilah groans and she looks like her younger self. I zone out that I don't even notice mom approaching me.

"Are you okay?"

"Huh?"

"I know you're upset about being here—" She starts. She's towering over me in her designer heels but I'm taller than her without them. She's wearing her favorite reading glasses, the red pair with the golden trim. It was a gift from Sam a few years ago.