"Excuse me for a second." I smile, walking myself to the bathroom.

I splash my face with some cold water and take a deep breath. I can't help but feel wrong in this moment, despite how happy I am with my friends, my boyfriend; I still have a gut feeling something is wrong.

I shake it off and exit the bathroom, feeling myself walk straight into someone—embarrassment flooding over me as I lift my eyes from the ground. I sigh in relief; it's Elijah.

"Sorry," I chuckle, "I'm so clumsy."

"Is everything okay?" he asks, his brow lowering slightly.

"Yes, why wouldn't it be?" I ask.

"I just noticed your expression change at the table, I wanted to check on you. You can talk to me, you know." he tells me reassuringly, placing a gentle squeeze on my arm.

"I know," I sigh. "I'm happy, Elijah. I'm happy with Mason—more than ever, I'm happy with my friends."

"Okay... then what's wrong?" he furrows his brow.

"That's exactly what's wrong. I feel like I shouldn't be this happy—like something has to happen because things are going too well. I've never felt this happy, I'm in such a good place with Mason, I'm just scared that's all going to come crashing down." I explain. Elijah doesn't know much about me; not really. He doesn't know any of the messed up childhood details, but I feel like he still understands me in some strange way.

"Amara," he smiles, "I understand that, I really do. It's natural to be scared of losing the good you have—but you can't go through life being scared of what could happen, or it really isn't happiness at all."

"I know, I know," I sigh, "I just have this feeling, I can't explain it. I just feel like something bad is bound to happen." I tell him, aware of how crazy I sound.

"But, that was very wise advice—thank you." I begin before he has the chance to reply.

"Anytime."

—————

I asked Elijah to take me home after the dinner, and Mason back to his dorm. As much as I would like to spend the night with him; I need to be there for Carol; just to make sure everything actually is okay.

"I'm home!" I yell as I walk inside.

"Shh!" my mom asserts, pressing her finger against her lips. "Izzy is asleep."

"Where's Carol?" I ask.

"In bed, too."

"Still?" I gape, to which she nods.

"She's pregnant, Mar. She needs her rest." she smiles, walking into the kitchen.

I take off my shoes and slowly enter the guest room where Carol is curled up in bed watching an episode of 'Friends'—one of her favorite shows.

"Scoot over." I whisper, climbing under the covers and resting my head on her shoulder.

"How was the dinner?" she asks with a raised brow.

"It was.. good, there were some disagreements but it was good." I chuckle.

"You don't have to lay in here with me, you know. You can spend time with Mason." she says softly.

"I spend enough time with Mason, I want to spend some time with you." I tell her sincerely, watching the smile appear on her face.

"So, what are we watching?" I wiggle myself further into the bed and turn on Netflix.

We decide on a comedy, something to keep the mood light. We spend the whole time laughing and eating the chocolate that she smuggled into the room from my mom's stash. Cravings.