40

I woke up in white linen, almost forgetting where I was until I realised what had happened yesterday was no longer a dream, but instead a reality. I grabbed my phone to see all of the notifications from 'Shawn' on my phone. I shed a tear as the door opened and Nick walked in immediately wrapping me in a hug. "Don't be sad, pretty girls shouldn't cry" he mumbled into my hair as he gently stroked the back of my head. I sighed as I pulled back, "have you seen the photo of him?" I questioned as Nick nodded and turned to look at me, "I'm sorry" he stroked my cheek as I shook my head "it's not your fault" I leaned my head into his chest as he wrapped his hands around my waist, he uttered words of comfort to me as we sat in silence for a while.

I sat at Nicks table as he rustled around in the kitchen making 'something I would like'. He eventually brought out a banana split with squirty cream, icecream and sprinkles. I smiled as he gave me a sheepish smile "it was the best I could do- and I thought it would be comforting" he placed the plate in front of me as I took my spoon and dug in, "thank you" I said with my cheeks filled with ice cream. Nick took the opportunity to take a picture of me as I gave a big thumbs up towards the camera. He laughed as my phone vibrated on the table in front of me, I rolled my eyes playfully as a little smirk came onto Nick's face. Not long after finishing I received a text from Shawn asking me why I was with Nick, I chose to ignore his texts again as it was pointless messaging him as it would only make me upset.

I pulled my light blue hoodie over my head and met Nick at the front door as he said he had a 'surprise' for me in order to cheer me up. I smiled at the thought of having someone want to take care of me and make me happy. Nick knew everything about me- my favourite bands; singers; colours; activities; sport; and everything else imaginable. He was like a friend that I had grown up with, except without the growing up together part. We arrived at a small centre which had a picture of what looks to be an animal on the front. We got out of the car and walked towards the clear glass doors- it seemed as if it was an animal centre for rehoming them. Nick spoke to the woman at the front desk as he grabbed my hand and led me towards a door labelled 'guinea pigs'. I smiled knowing what was in store for the rest of the day.

Nick took various pictures of me holding the little guinea pigs that were varying colours as we posted about adopting animals and for people to come to the location to meet us as well as to adopt a small furry friend. I smiled at the pens of dogs- they looked elated to see us but it was quite evident that they were sad from being in there.

It turns out a lot of people saw our Instagram stories and a lot of fans had come with their families to not only meet us but to also adopt an animal. I smiled at the thought that the puppies; guinea pigs; rabbits; and many other animals were going to get a second chance at life. We hugged a lot of the people who turned up and took a lot of pictures with them- lots of them leaving with animals. Once everyone had left Nick and I decided to look at the dogs again. I saw a small fluffy dog sitting in the corner of its pen alone- a lot of the dogs had found new homes and had been reserved for people who had came today. I checked the list and saw that the dog was a girl pomeranian called Chestnut- she was a gingery colour and looked pretty shy. I felt bad for her- she looked lonely, cowered in the corner. I looked at Nick and pointed at her, pouting with my bottom lip out. "Can you please get her" I looked up at him as he closed his eyes in thought for a few seconds, "wait here" he turned around and went to presumably the receptionist woman.

I put my hand in her pen and she cautiously made her way over to me. She sniffed my hand as I reached to her head and scratched behind her fluffy ears. She licked my hand as I reached under her body and picked her up, bringing her towards my face. She licked my nose as Nick returned with some paperwork "I'll be needing your signature" he handed me the clipboard as I gave him a surprised look and gasped, "really?" I questioned as he nodded. I handed Nick Chestnut as she wagged her tail and licked his face, he laughed lightly as he petted her head. I signed the paperwork and handed it back to Nick, "can I take her today" I questioned as he nodded, "we'll need to make a stop at PetSmart".

I carried Chestnut into the car as she sat patiently on my lap. Nick drove us across the street to PetSmart as we walked in with Chestnut. I picked a white collar for her as well as a white lead. We then picked a bed and food for her and I paid at the checkout. I attached the lead to her on the way out and walked her to the car. She clambered into the car into the footwell and climbed up onto my lap as soon as I got in. I smiled at Nick, thanking him for letting me take her home with me. We turned on the radio as 'Roses' played on the radio. I immediately changed the station and discovered that my song 'dangerous woman' was playing. I gasped as Nick lightly laughed and we headed home.