3

Adam's view

Adam's view

I purposely set my alarms a bit earlier than normal today. To get up before heather did.

Rolling out of bed I headed to the kitchen to start on breakfast.

Sighing to myself at what happened last night, I wish I could do more to help her. Hell I wish I had the courage to tell her how I felt.

But like always I had to push them feelings down.

After about an hour I heard the toilet being flushed so I knew she was up.

It wasn't long before I felt two arms wrap around my waist and a small kiss being placed in between my shoulder blades.

I could get used to this. But I knew it would never happen.

I always enjoyed the morning when heather stayed over.

"Morning" she yawned pulling away and sitting at the breakfast bar.

"Morning sleepy" I smiled placing a mug of coffee in front of her "sleep well?"

"Best night sleep I've had in a while" she half smiled until I placed the plate of pancakes and bacon in front of her.

"You made me pancakes" she squealed causing me to laugh.

"Yes I did you child" I shook my head at her as I grabbed my plate and stood opposite her.

"How you feeling this morning" I asked with a mouth full of pancake in my mouth. Right now I was doing everything to could you make her laugh.

"Adam you are gross" she giggled "but I'm not sure, I'm glad I came here last night though"

"Hey it will be ok, what are you doing about the relationship?" I asked.

"I want to end it, I'm a Voight I'm not meant to be someone's fucking punching bag but right now I feel weak, ashamed and scared. I'm scared if I end it he will do something worse" she mumbled.

This broke my heart. I hated seeing her like this.

"You know if you end it I will protect you and so will everyone else you just need to tell them what's going on" I whispered gently stroking her arm.

"It's easier said than done though Adam" she sighed.

"And I will be with you every step ok. Now let's stop talking about the twat and have a good day" I smiled at her.

———

Walking into the district, Heather headed straight for her desk.

I heard her sigh as she saw the flowers before picking them up and storming to the bin in the break room and dumping them.

"Ruzek a word" Hank said walking by me.

Following him into his office not having a clue what this was about.

"Is there something I should know about you and my daughter" he asked raising his eyebrow at me.

"No sarge" I said

"Why did you two come strolling in together, she's never hear this early and she's wearing the hoodie you was wearing yesterday" he asked.

"Her cars in the shop, so I gave her a ride this morning" I lied.

I could tell he wasn't buying it. All it took was one look off him causing me to spill.

"Ok, she turned up at my doorstep last night in a state. She had a argument with James or something. She wanted somewhere to crash for the night so she stayed at mine" I said running my hand through my hair.

"Why didn't you just say that Ruzek" Hank laughed.

"I don't know I think it's because she doesn't want to be seen weak. She said this morning that she's a Voight and shouldn't be feeling weak after an argument and running away like a coward" I said changing it up a little.

Voight sighed running his hands over his head.

"He's getting physical with her isn't he" she sighed.

"I think so, don't tell her I've mentioned this but I think he slapped her last night as when she turned up she had a bright red hand print on her cheek" I sighed.

"I knew it but I didn't think it would have got this bad, why couldn't she have picked you" he half laughed.

"Excuse me" I said in shock.

"You know I like you kid, I've watched you both grow up and I've seen how close you two are. Don't think I haven't noticed how you look at her when she's so engrossed in a case or the fact that every single day you get her before her to make sure she has a coffee in her hand when she walks in" he smiled

"I want to act on it but I dunno with what's happening I'm kinda just burying my feelings" I sighed.

"Just be there for her ok" he nodded.

"Always am" I smiled back.

———

Not much was happening in Chicago at the moment so we were catching up on paperwork.

"Whoever's phones constantly ringing please shut it off" Hank shouted from him office.

"Sorry dad" heather mumbled.

Lifting my head up I shot her a look that asked if she was ok. She nodded back before standing up. The benefit of being friends for over 20 years we could have conversations around people without saying a word.

"I'm going for a smoke" she said to no one.

"Though you quit kid" al asked.

"Yeah well" she shrugged before grabbing the hoodie I gave her last night and headed outside.

"Ruzek why is your partner all grumpy" al asked me.

"dunno man she seemed ok this morning" I shrugged when I knew full well what was going on.