Chapter 26

Scarlett

Dinner was quiet. Mostly because the Twins and Kjell had to stay late and fix whatever was wrong in their territories.

Lincoln and Bash discussed some politics involving a recent supernatural court case, while Erik and I quietly listened.

Every now and then Erik would add some things to their conversation, I kept to myself as I ate.

After dinner, Lincoln got a phone call and announced he was needed to 'referee' some shifter drama that had broken out between the wolf and bear clans. He ended up packing a bag, predicting that it might take a day or two to settle the clans down.

I tried to slip back down to the library, but Bash and Erik managed to convince me to watch a movie with them.

I snuggled up between them, their warm bodies pressed into either side of me.

A couple of times, I found myself snoozing off, only to wake myself up every time my head started to fall.

Bash's body rumbled beside me, "You're tired. You should go upstairs and get some sleep." His hand came up and brushed a stray hair out of my face.

"I'm fine. I wanna make sure everyone gets home safely." I sat my head down on Erik's shoulder while the TV flashed bright colors.

"Who knows when everyone else will be back." Erik shrugged. "Lincoln definitely won't be back tonight. Those damn shifters are territorial bastards. The twins probably won't be home until later tonight/early morning. They might stop and try to feed." A quick glance was shared between the two of them that I almost missed. "As for the lizard, who knows what he's up to," Erik said.

And as if summoned, the front door unlocked. Heavy footsteps stepped into the front entryway and Kjell's deep voice rumbled, "Watch it, Erik, my dragon doesn't like that nickname and he's feeling a little hangry tonight."

I almost sighed in relief when I turned and saw my Mountain man.

Kjell smiled at me as he stepped behind the couch and, in one fluid movement, leaned down and planted a kiss on my lips.

"Hello Dove." A boyish smirk rested on his face.

"Hello Kjell." I grinned at his easy going behavior towards me.

"Are these assholes keeping you awake?" Kjell asked playfully.

I decidedly played along, "They said I wasn't allowed to sleep until they said so." I stuck my lower lip out for emphasis.

Bash and Erik scoffed at my ridiculous claims.

Kjell rumbled a low growl, "Well I'm here to save you now." He walked around to the front of the couch. His huge frame towering over me. Slowly, as if to make sure I was okay with it, he bent down and hooked one of his arms under my knees while his other rested behind my back. And as if I weighed nothing, he picked me off the couch.

His cool chest was a huge contrast to the other two's radiator-like bodies.

"Just what do you think you are doing?" Erik scoffed at Kjell.

"I'm taking my mate up to bed." I shivered at the way Kjell said mate.

"Damn reptiles," Bash muttered, though he kept his eyes glued to the TV.

Erik's blue eyes flicked to me, "Do you want anyone else to join you? We could send one of the twins up when they get home." His thoughtfulness warmed my heart.

Kjell growled again. "She's fine."

Erik ignored him, keeping his eyes on me for confirmation. "Thank you Erik, but I'm okay."